Multiple Tone Stack Calculator?

Started by facon, April 09, 2014, 09:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

facon

Is there something like the Duncan tone stack calculator that will allow for multiple tone stacks? Or will let you enter your own schematic? I want to see how tone stacks from pedals and amps add up. For example, I'd like to compare the the affect a muff has on a Fender, Marshall and Vox.

facon

I spoke too soon. It looks like LTSpice should handle what I'm asking? Now to figure out how to do it.

MrStab

probably not too helpful as the line would stay static, and you've already discovered LTSpice, but maybe you could use the Snapshot button in TSC and approximate the effects of successive stacks.

i'll need to get into this Spice business someday, just need to find a bigger funnel to squeeze things into my brain!
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

facon

Give it a shot. I didn't know anything about the program, but learned how to use it for exactly what I need in a few minutes. Here are two useful tutorials that I found that gave me all the info I need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmzfJa2GS7c

http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/tools/software/ltspice/ltspice-ac-analysis-with-the-bmp-tone-stack/

MrStab

thanks a lot for the links, i'll bookmark this thread for when i get round to it!
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

GibsonGM

LT CAN be set up to do this, but it might take some real work to simulate the input/output impedances of everything, in order to get accurate results.

I'd LOVE to see how you make out!  Good project, at any rate.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

facon

First I just created a simple big muff tone stack simulation. Right after I decided to do the entire circuit. After finishing the circuit, I can see that the tone stack itself only plays a simple part in the overall frequency response of the completed circuit.

This is a great learning experience so far. I figured that the tone stack shaped a majority of the sound, but I can see now that it only helps filter what is there. Pretty stupid of me. It's obvious that different guitars and sources sound completely different when going into other tone stacks.