NOISEY Cricket mark 2 build, uping the power

Started by Rooster72, April 11, 2014, 07:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster72

In notes on a schematic it states that I can increase the voltage if I have a high rated LM386 Semi conductor. I do its an N4. So I would like to double it to 18 v. The information I looked up on the part says it would be fine. But do ihave to change every componant in the build. Im new to this but figuring out the math and other headaches. The build is the Noisey Cricket mark 2 build , building with radio shack parts. At beavis audio.com
Any in put would be much appreciated.
Thanks

PRR

All your caps have to be at-least 18V, and really 25V.

Often caps don't come smaller than 25V.

But there are 16V caps. Check yours.
  • SUPPORTER

Rooster72

I have 2 electrolytic 220uf  caps both 50volt
The 23 film caps call for 47nf  and 100nf  ,, the guy at marvac said he doesnt carry them in that rating and gave me 47000PF  1 Kv and 1000000PF 1KV. I hope the KV isnt for kilovolts.. Did you look up the schematic? Im ready to protoboard it, just dont wanna fry it.

duck_arse

the 2 electros are fine. as for the other 2 ....

47,000pF = 47nF = 0.047uF and 100,000pF = 100nF = 0.1uF. this is how the multipliers work, there is another one comes along for every three noughts. 1kV = 1,000Volts, so while it will be fine for this circuit, I'd shop somewhere else that had 50V, 63V, or 100V cap ranges.

and if the guy gave you "1000000PF 1KV", (1,000,000PF 1KV = 1,000nF = 1.0uF) he is out by a factor of ten. another reason to shop somewhere more suitable to low voltage needs.

there will be no frying parts at the voltage ratings you have, and only 18V. proto away to your hearts content, the 1uF might not even make much difference.
don't make me draw another line.

Rooster72

Ok cool, thanks for the numbers breakdown. Ive been reading and trying to learn formulas just itchin to build this baby. Ill post the progress and pics. This is so fun.

Jdansti

To add to what duck said, the nonpolar caps are generally rated well above stompbox voltages, so don't kill yourself trying to find them in voltages under 100V. The main criteria is whether they will physically fit on your board.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...