Nkt275 vs ad12dx

Started by nate77, April 12, 2014, 12:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nate77

So this topic popped up a few weeks ago from a gentleman that was new to the forum. He had recently received some quick and solid advice from a couple members of this forum and was looking to recontribute to the local community. He proposed this; he would send a pair of ad12dx trannies (Ge) to anyone willing to A/B them with nkt275 trannies in a FF type circuit. Well, I was one of the lucky recipients of this shining example of good faith and brotherhood and, I'm happy to say tht the ad12dx trannies are awesome. They seem noticeable smoother, rounder and slightly bassier than the nkt's. I have 3 different FF style pedals currently, all of which are socketed and I prefer the ad12dx's over the nkt's and 128's that I've got. In my opinion they just sound bigger without the unpleasant fizzy, hollow breakup when really pushing the other 2 more "traditional" and coveted trannies. They have a more organic sound, and there is a little more usable headroom (I know that headroom isn't the FF's niche, but it makes the full range of the pots more useful). I'm very happy and thankful for the gift and chance to try these out. I certainly fell into the "if you read it, it's st be true" frame of mind with the idea that money equals quality for simple circuits like this. Thanks man, much appreciated!

blaren

Glad you like them Nate.
You do mean the ASX12Ds and not AD12DX right? lol

So glad you hear the same thing I hear with them and we are not the only ones. I sent a few to a builder with an extremely impressive client list. He agrees that they "out-NKT275" the actual old NKT275s. Just for confirmation though he is going to get 2 of his ASX12D loaded fuzzes to a couple of heavyweights for a week or 10 days and see what they say.

It feels really great to get confirmation and AFFIRMATION that my ears really do work.
I was just SO shocked and was actually questioning my hearing and sanity when I discovered that the ASX12Ds sounded "better" (at everything the NKT275s are known for) than the $$$$ NKT275s.
Unfortunately though, it seems like now the ASX12Ds are even harder to find than NKTs :-(
Now watch..word will get out that the ASX12Ds are as good or better than the NKT275s and will suddenly cost 10 times more than the NKTs. IF you can find them.

Thanks for the confirmation Nate (IF you actually meant ASX12Ds...maybe you actually mean AD12DX and not the ones I sent you  :icon_redface: )

nate77

Oops, I definitely meant adx12d's, which is not only personally embarrassing but also probably sent dozens of forum members away thinking, "what the hell does this guy mean?". Seriously, these seem to have all of the enherent properties that the coveted and overpriced nkt's are said to have. I'll repost this correctly and maybe turn some heads. When I posted this I had been in the middle of some silly work and daddy hours and wanted to post this before your earlier post had become vague in our short collective forum memories. Thanks again Shane, truly a gift and an eye opener. I need to dig into the history of these trannies and find out the best place to secure a handful before the myth exceeds the value (which, in my opinion is vastly superior to the 275's and 128's). Thanks Shane!!