Wampler/Indyguitarist Mystery Mod

Started by soupbone, April 18, 2014, 01:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

I sent Brian Wampler a Boss DS-1 to do his "Vintage Mod" to it back in '09.I actually never cracked it open to see the mod until a couple of hours ago.(don't know why.lol) Anyways,I went over the whole pedal,and have no idea what mod this. :icon_question:  I have 2 of Brian's books,and read articles on mods he does for the DS-1,and none of them have the same changed parts like mine.If someone can help me identity this mod,I would be greatly appreciative!Here's the changed parts:(the original part is in parenthesis.) R13-(4.7k)=1k carbon film  R-16-(6.8k)=1k  C2-(.047uf/50v Electrolytic)=1uf 63v Box Metal Film  C3-(.047uf Polyester Film)= code 333 .033uf I think? Metal Film  C8-(1uf/50v Electrolytic)=1uf 63v Box Metal Film.  C9-(.047uf N.P. Electrolytic)=1uf 63v Box Metal Film.  C11-(.022uf Polyester Film)=.01uf Polyester Film. C12-(.1uf Polyester Film)=.1uf Metal Film  D5-(1N4148)=Clear Blue LED. The red indicator led was changed to a high-brightness blue led.Extra notes: C2-C8-C9 are blue box film caps.They say 1uJ63 on one side,and 1W8 on the other side.So,I'm not sure who the manufacturer is.C3-C-12 are Panasonic metal film.C11 is Green Polyester Film.(not sure what manufacturer either.) The resistor changed to carbon film.(I'm guessing because that's what he had in his parts bin at the time.There ya have it folks!The Wampler Mystery Mod!

armdnrdy

A couple of questions,

Does it sound noticeably better than it did before the mods?

How much did Brian charge for this overhaul?

Wouldn't it have been better to post a DS-1 schematic with the "mods" values in red or parenthesis so members could easily see the component change, the circuit section, and therefore come to a conclusion what affect if any the change would have on the sound/tone.  :icon_wink:

That seems to be the standard way that makes the most sense.
The way you wrote it up...it remains a mystery.  ???

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

soupbone

Quote from: armdnrdy on April 18, 2014, 02:08:11 AM
A couple of questions,

Does it sound noticeably better than it did before the mods?

How much did Brian charge for this overhaul?

Wouldn't it have been better to post a DS-1 schematic with the "mods" values in red or parenthesis so members could easily see the component change, the circuit section, and therefore come to a conclusion what affect if any the change would have on the sound/tone.  :icon_wink: It did sound good.I think it was $40.00 for the mod?I'm not sure what program you used,but that's awesome!I'm on my Windows Cell Phone.What did use to put the red changes in?Thanks!

That seems to be the standard way that makes the most sense.
The way you wrote it up...it remains a mystery.  ???

soupbone

Sorry Larry!I didn't mean to post my reply in the middle of your post! :icon_redface:

armdnrdy

I just threw that together in MS paint.

These look like pretty standard. Change a little of this...dabble here and there mods. Very similar to TS-808 mods. Tone components, larger input cap, (more bass) Clipping LED...change clipping characteristics for better or worst. (your preference)

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

soupbone

Quote from: armdnrdy on April 18, 2014, 03:33:14 AM
I just threw that together in MS paint.

These look like pretty standard. Change a little of this...dabble here and there mods. Very similar to TS-808 mods. Tone components, larger input cap, (more bass) Clipping LED...change clipping characteristics for better or worst. (your preference)

I looked at the "Vintage Mod" in my Wampler book,and there are some of the changes that are the same,and others completely different.D5-LED,C3-.033uf,R16,-1k,C11-.01uf.The only other two changes were, C1,C5-.1uf.So,a lot different changes.Especially the caps.

soupbone

Has anyone ever heard about this mod?and what is it?

wampcat1

Back in the days that I was modding I ALWAYS asked the person what gear they were using and what sounds they were trying to achieve out of it. I customized the mods to what they were wanting. So the answer to your question is that it's YOUR mod :)