adding power starve/voltage regulator pot to wah pedal

Started by 01downer, April 18, 2014, 08:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

01downer

Hi everyone. Im new to the forum but have been a lurker for a couple of months now. Only been modding pedals about 6-8 months and the friendly and extremely knowledgable posts ive seen on these forums has made me feel ive definitely come to the right spot.
Wah pedals seem to be my fascination at the moment and have performed all the common crybaby mods ive found floating around the net.

A mod that i would like to do on my lab rat gcb95 is add a power starve type voltage regulator to simulate the sound of a wah being a little under powered

From the research ive been gathering it seems all thats needed is a 10k linear taper pot wired in series from the power jack to the + terminal on the circuit board.
Whats confusing me is the power jack is soldered directly to the board. The only trace i could follow from the power jack is the hot to the battery clip

Does anyone know or even better have a picture or diagram of how to do it on the gcb95 circuit board?

Sorry if this is a noob or stupid question. But any help is very appreciated

Thanks

italianguy63

I looked at it quick..  look at the trace from the + Batt clip-- it goes back to the 2.1mm DC Jack.  Then it jumps through the jack to a very short trace connected to the vertical lug on the jack (closest to the outside of the board).  It then goes through a resistor just below the jack and parallel to the reverse voltage protection diode.  You would need the splice the pot into that short trace.  Sorry, but I don't have a schematic here to check against....

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

01downer

Thanks for the response. I was afraid of having to splice into a trace. I got the idea from the beavis audio page but unfortunatately didnt show a diagram for installing it into a crybaby

01downer

Is there any other way of doing it without cutting a trace?  A diagram would be very helpful if anyone that knows how to do it wouldnt mind sharing..

drummer4gc

See how 9V+ goes directly into that 1k resistor? You could remove it and patch in your 10k pot there.

01downer

Thank you very much!

So remove that resistor and wire a 10k linear pot in there with lugs 1 and 3 going into the original resistor holes is all i have to do?

italianguy63

You need to jumper legs 1 and 2 together on the pot.  I would also add the 1K resistor in series back to leg 1 or 3 of the pot so that your overall resistance can not go to zero.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

01downer

Thanks so much guys! I felt a little "stupid" joining the forum since ive only been into modding for roughly 6 months but want to learn as much as possible. Everyone seems pretty friendly so far and very knowledgable. Thanks guys for leading me in the right direction

italianguy63

No dumb questions here.  Only mine, and some other thread we can not mention.  You may find it eventually.   :icon_mrgreen:

01downer

Would that 1k resistor be R9 on the circuit board?

italianguy63

I have a Rev H board.  It is R2.  It is on the bottom right between a diode and an electo. capacitor.

01downer

Mine is a rev I but i see the one youre talking about. Im already using both that resistor and diode for powering the dual leds i've installed

I dont think im skilled enough to continue the mod and keep the leds

01downer

Heres what im working with. Excuse the work if it looks bad. Still new to modding:)