So when will we move beyond the PT2399?

Started by Mark Hammer, April 20, 2014, 12:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital Larry

Quote from: commathe on April 21, 2014, 09:17:20 PM
I have stumbled across your site before! I am a bit of a fan. I wish you all the best with SpinCAD. I will definitely be trying it out when I make the plunge into using the FV-1

Thanks for the kind words.  One thing that FV-1/SpinCAD can do VERY well is multi-tap delays.  One of the blocks I came up with is in fact based on the MN3011 tap spacing.  I decided not to go the extra mile to emulate the aliasing, distortion, and noise, but I suppose you could add those things if you liked.  I actually like short multi-tap delays and slapback kinda stuff for guitar as much as I like smoother reverbs, maybe more so.  One thing I was thinking about today would be something like a 7 or 8 tap delay, but instead of just mixing them to stereo, bring each tap out so that it could be sent through an EQ, or pitch shift, chorus, etc. THEN back to mono or stereo mix down. Not sure how complex it could be made before running out of instructions.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

petey twofinger

can we get this new chip with aa reverse mode as well please ?

or is that impossible .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

Mark Hammer

Well that wold be nice, but I suspect that there isn't much incentive to do anything like that, given that it is specialized for a certain market and not really generic enough.  Bear in mind that the PT2399 has been feasible as a commericla product precisely because it can serve a much broader market than guitar players.  That was also the very basis of keeping BBD production alive.  Guitar players are a drop in the bucket.  There is the home theatre market, the karaoke market, and don't forget how Belton uses a trio of PT2399s for reverb.  And I'm sure there are other clients we never think of.

I'm just thinking in terms of something that would serve all those markets, but serve us too.  So, a chip than had a few more bits of sample resolution, a faster sample rate, and more DRAM to accommodate longer delays at higher resolution.  If it could provide a few seconds for cheapo pedals but also provide 40msec for rear-channel speakers, that would make a few markets happy.

Jdansti

Is it possible that an existing chip could be programmed to act as a delay, assuming it has enough onboard memory?   Isn't that how the taptation is done?  I realize that the taptation is not a delay, I'm just using it as an example of taking an existing chip and programming it to do what you want.

Be kind with your responses... I really know nothing about this.  :icon_confused:

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

armdnrdy

Quote from: Jdansti on April 23, 2014, 11:15:40 PM
Is it possible that an existing chip could be programmed to act as a delay, assuming it has enough onboard memory?   Isn't that how the taptation is done?  I realize that the taptation is not a delay, I'm just using it as an example of taking an existing chip and programming it to do what you want.

Be kind with your responses... I really know nothing about this.  :icon_confused:

Hey John,

See reply #10 on page 1 of this thread.

This is the animal but....it takes more than a few capacitor and resistors to "program" this IC.
I would love to work with this technology but I have a hard enough time (flying by the seat of my pants) with basic 40 year old designs!

Programming's not my bag baby!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

MetalGuy

You don't need to program anything if you wouldn't like to. The FV-1 comes with 7 preloaded effects and if you want some 8 more you can still use already developed algorithms or get a preprogrammed module with effects of your choice. For more info check out the Digital section of this forum.
My vote also goes to FV-1. Currently it's the best all in one solution and best bang for the money.

matt239

The FV-1 seems like the thing to use. Even if we are not super into programming it. I imagine we could use all our analog tricks with it.
For instance, if we have it set up as a basic delay, we could set up feedback and filtering (& modulation?) as if it were any other chip right?

(Edit: Question: Does the FV-1 one have to have a battery when off, to "remember" it's programming?)

It would be cool if Madbean or someone would make a board and some instructions..
There is a board @ Tonepad, but there is not much guidance, or build reports. People are struggling with it.
(Not dissing Tonepad. I love Tonepad..)

Other thing that would be cool is to have ONE single thread or page with all the latest, best info, tips & tricks for using PT2399.

- and maybe a project that implements them all:
A PT2399 delay with Midwayfair's distortion reducing LED, and the best filtering, companding and noise reducing techniques.
and two, or three chips, for longer times with less noise / better bandwidth.

I have seen some cool info here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=98995.0
&
http://sound.westhost.com/project26a.htm

- Though some of that info appears to disagree..

Digital Larry

Quote from: matt239 on September 18, 2015, 05:31:10 PM
(Edit: Question: Does the FV-1 one have to have a battery when off, to "remember" it's programming?)

User programs need to be loaded into an EEPROM, so they do not disappear when the power goes off.  Or you can use the 8 built-in patches which are also permanent.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer