Stereo panner output question

Started by armdnrdy, April 20, 2014, 01:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

I'm working on a project for the community....the stereo panner from the Japanese stomp box collection available at Mr. Hammer's Ampage site.

I've bread boarded sections of the circuit and made some changes which I believe will make for a better effect.

The board is routed and includes board mounted pots, audio jacks, and power jack for minimal off board wiring.

The board was designed to fit in a 125B enclosure.

This morning I wrapped up some loose ends and worked out a wiring diagram for the switching when I had a thought.

The effect is set up to output to two separate amps for a panning "stereo" effect, but if only one output is used, it is basically a tremolo type effect.
The problem with running this through just one amp is...only half of the "panned" signal makes it through to the single amp which cuts the "tremolo" rate in half.

So...I thought to use the right output jacks tip switch to carry the "right" side signal over to the left output jack when there is no cord plugged into the right output jack.

If there are cords plugged in both right and left output jacks the effect will operate normally as a stereo panner.

Now the question,
Do I need to add any sort of mixing node to this output section or is it good as is?
Does anyone see any potential issues with this switching configuration?

My mind's door is always open for input. No need to knock.

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

armdnrdy

I think I just answered my own question.

I had built a Ibanez ST- 810 Stereo pan previously which has a similar output, so I used it for test purposes.

Making the connection between channels for mono does work...but does not produce a good tremolo.
The channels start and stop too close to one another.

A single channel goes from signal to nothing and leaves a dead space with no signal for much better "stuttering" type tremolo.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

blackieNYC

I was going to say that you'd get no trem at all in mono if you mix them together.  I have a boss pn-2 which does stereo panning or dual mono tremolo with a switch.  But no schematic. Checkout the "phase" switch on this guy. http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Tremolos%20and%20Panners/Dean%20Hazelwater%20Anderton%20Panner.gif
For your consideration: I made a stereo trem with a single input recently. An afterthought of a design.  I put in a switch that chooses between LFO caps.  One cap goes extremely slow, with which I pan between fuzzes, blending back to mono, but the "fast cap" takes the stereo panning into the audio frequency/ pseudo ring mod range.  High frequency panning between two amps needs to be heard.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

armdnrdy

Thanks for the reply and info.

I like the phase switch option. I'll take a look at the panner schematic that I'm working with to see if such a thing can be implemented.

If you ever feel like opening up your PN-2 and taking some good images...I would like to reverse engineer and work up a project for the thing.  :icon_wink:

armdnrdy

BlackieNYC planted the idea in my head about a phase switch for a stereo panner in his last post.

Even though I had already etched the board, and had it half way populated....I found a way to add the modification.

The circuit I'm working with takes a different approach to the optocoupler section but I was able to switch one optocoupler out, and the other one in with a SPDT switch resulting in the same phase for both outputs.

Thanks Blackie!