The cursed project: Sonic Czar

Started by italianguy63, April 20, 2014, 05:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

italianguy63

Well, I am proud to annouce I finally have a good prototype of what I started on back in November!  Actually, this is 2 parallel projects that merged.  The first was I wanted to make a basic Fuzz Face with a sag control-- and a certain vendor messed up my order for enclosures causing me a bunch of grief to figure out a "Plan B."  A big thank you to Mike (Pojo) for saving my bacon with his decal expertise.  Yes, this is a decal.  Came out pretty awesome.

The 2nd half has been my Fuzz Face PCB.  Finally solved all the issues today after months of testing and minor setbacks.  Had a problem with a trace in the bias circuit, and today figured out my trannies were drawn backwards on the PCB diagram.  Works great if you install the parts on the wrong side of the board.  NUTS.  Seems a Rev B. is in the works.

The Sonic Czar concept is a Russian Germanium based '67 Fuzz Face with a sag, and charge pump.  Turns out this prototype has a Russian in Q1, and I could not get enough gain, so I put a high-gain 2N-series in Q2, and instead of a sag, I put in a bias knob.

Once, I got the bugs fixed, the gain went through the roof.  This thing is way agressive on the fuzz, the bias works great, and it is an awesome sounding pedal!!

Now I can rest a bit.

MC

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

haveyouseenhim

That looks sick!  You gotta love that feeling of completing a project with bugs :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

italianguy63

Thanks Mike.  It has been a nightmare.  Glad I finally got it figured out... like a huge weight being lifted.  I was getting so discouraged, and my pile of broken parts just kept growing.  I felt like insane 'cause I knew I couldn't make that many soldering errors!  But, nothing would work right.  When I swapped the trannie legs finally - this pedal blasted me out.. Hugely (Spirit in the Sky) fuzzness.  Anyway, I was wanting a good, inexpensive build-- finally got it going.  I am looking forward to building one now with the Russian tranny pair I had originally intended.  They have a nice warm tone.

I acutally figured it out yesterday by sitting down with the schematic, and tracing out the PCB trace by trace.  When I could not find anything wrong, I compared it to another build (by somebody else), and found the bone-head mistake.

Paul actually probably saw it about 3 weeks ago, but I thought I had just selected the wrong item in Eagle.  I did not realize the actual PCB drawing was swapped.  OUCH- believing in what is drawn (or in print).  Lessons learned I hope!

Looks like I have some Eagle work to do.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

italianguy63

And, just because it is pretty and it makes me happy again:

(Hey Mike!  Those carbon comps are gonna come in handy!)  

Look -- little Russian spaceships (Aliens!)  MC

italianguy63

Just an update and link to Petey's product demo:

Enjoy!!  MC

Ice-9

Great Demo, and the pedal sounds 'The Bollocks', love the bottom end on the fuzz.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

italianguy63

Thank you!  I love the part towards the end (around 3:24--) PT got it real crunchy.

digi2t

OK..... I'll take one, along with the Kord-12.7 mm.

To go.

Yes.... I want the fries too.

The tone is AMAZING!! The video is outstanding. Excellent work to all.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

italianguy63

Thanks for your help with this Dino.  I think I have worked the Russian PNP's to the end.  I have some GREAT options now. 

I need to get around to building one out with the mombo 402's.

digi2t

Maybe a dunce question... you have a final schematic for this somewhere?

Just watched the video again (15th time, or so). I'm all rev'ed up for work now. :D
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

italianguy63

I do!  Sorry Dino, I missed your post.  PM sent.

MC