chorus that doesnt move

Started by petey twofinger, April 23, 2014, 08:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petey twofinger

i really like a chorus with the rate at zero . a lot of chorus circuits , well they still move or oscilate slowly when you set the rate to nill .

i have an old dod bass chorus that really works well for this , i also run a ce2 with it but it moves very slowly .

i would like to start building this effect , adding inside some of my amps . i would like to keep it as simle as possible , it seems i would not need the whole modulation or lfo part of the circuit at all .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

drummer4gc

I recently repaired a chorus pedal with a circuit similar to the Boss CE-2 - it was not moving. Turns out the rate pot had gone bad.

If you're looking for a simple, easily reversible way to attempt this with the pedal you already have, try disconnecting the middle lug of the rate pot.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: petey twofinger on April 23, 2014, 08:40:44 PM
i really like a chorus with the rate at zero . a lot of chorus circuits , well they still move or oscilate slowly when you set the rate to nill .

i have an old dod bass chorus that really works well for this , i also run a ce2 with it but it moves very slowly .

i would like to start building this effect , adding inside some of my amps . i would like to keep it as simle as possible , it seems i would not need the whole modulation or lfo part of the circuit at all .

It HAS to modulate, or else it simply becomes a very short delay.  Of course, there is a difference between unnoticeable and noticeable modulaton.

The other alternative is what Boss does/did with the DC-2, and that is run a pair of counterswept delays, so that it doesn't sound like its being modulated, even though it is.  With one BBD always going sharp and the other going flat (or vice versa), one tends not to hear the modulation.

commathe

You might be looking for more of a "detune" effect a-la Mooer Super Shifter or Digitech Whammy. They both give a really rich "unmodulated" chorus sound. Probably anything that does a detune will work though

Blitz Krieg

So just disconnect the lfo and it becomes a short delay?

What controls the length of the delay?

petey twofinger

yes , the efect that i desire is a really short delay , around ten ms i think .

the depth control adjusts the delay time .

i find certain times work well for different keys , but i normally set it and leave it .

i see a used line 6 space chorus for 35 at gc , its stereo in , but i would have to mod it , i think those are noisy too. it would be nice to run it in the stereo effects loop though . i am not so hot on line 6 because of issues with my dl4 .

on my fender jam i cut in a switch to cut the power to the lfo chip and it works well .

i think the pt2399 chip does not go short enough to get the desired effect . if i use a flanger the effect is a bit much , with shorter times it really stands out too much and sounds awkward . it seems louder too , even when i set a flanger at the longest delay time . i have tried getting this sound with various delays , but most pedal units do not go that short of delay time .

i was hoping to build something with an mn3007 , on vero , that is simple , minus the lfo part that a normal chorus circuit has .

samhay

The PT2399 delay can get pretty short if you essentially ground pin 6. You have to use an anti latch-up circuit, but this is not complicated.
Rather than stopping the LFO, you can turn down the depth - this should preserve some delay, but kill the modulation.
I will have a play with my Cherub chorus and see what it sounds like at min depth - It might be what you are looking for.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

allesz

Hallo petey, the effect you describe is my way to fake flanger/chorus with an analog delay: set it to a very short time and the repeats quite high (of course avoid feedback).

If you use also a sort of octave pedal (green ringer, octavia or similar) it's scary; sort of a mad reverb, a semi flanger, but without jet effect, a mad phaser, a crazy chorus.... Well, when you just use an overdrive and a delay you have to come up with something fresh sometimes  ;D

allesz

And btw, check the electro harmonix double tracking effect if you are good enough (I tried, and found out I am not), or try the pt2399 (it's not too bad, and at short times the noise level is very good).

Mark Hammer

Quote from: petey twofinger on April 24, 2014, 04:26:00 AM
i see a used line 6 space chorus for 35 at gc , its stereo in , but i would have to mod it , i think those are noisy too. it would be nice to run it in the stereo effects loop though . i am not so hot on line 6 because of issues with my dl4 .
I have one and don't find it noisy at all.  As with many earlier generation digital FX and earlier power supplies, the noise comes in when two or more such pedals are sharing non-isolated power sources.  The Space Chorus will do a nice DC-2 emulation.

petey twofinger

i seem to remember the min delay time on the pt2399 is 30 ms , i am looking for around ten .

the space chorus for 35 shure is tempting , but i seem to remember reading that those modules are tamper proof ... is this a fact ?

armdnrdy

Build a Tonepad CE-2 but instead of using the stock MN3007, use a MN3009 for 12.8ms delay.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

wavley

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 23, 2014, 08:59:24 PM
Quote from: petey twofinger on April 23, 2014, 08:40:44 PM

It HAS to modulate, or else it simply becomes a very short delay.  Of course, there is a difference between unnoticeable and noticeable modulaton.

The other alternative is what Boss does/did with the DC-2, and that is run a pair of counterswept delays, so that it doesn't sound like its being modulated, even though it is.  With one BBD always going sharp and the other going flat (or vice versa), one tends not to hear the modulation.

I was getting ready to say that I thought that's what the kinda Dimension C did.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

samhay

For reference, here's a very quick and dirty recording of a PT2399 chorus with the rate and depth set to minimum (the depth doesn't quite get to 0 at max rate). Towards the end I play with the mix and then finally turn the depth up. Recorded direct into my audio interface - sorry the playing is not very inspiring.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11996927/cherub_v2_min_depth.mp3

Petey - this is not something I have really played with before, but it is certainly a cool effect.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

Fender3D

assuming you have a CE2 or similar circuit, you'll notice depth pot lug 1 (min depth) goes to LFO's reference bias.

If you connect the lug1 to another reference variable voltage (ie a 20k pot from +V and GND) you'll provide a control voltage for VCO, thus varying delay. Check manual control on flangers...  :icon_wink:
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge