Boss DS-1 troubleshooting

Started by Renegadrian, April 27, 2014, 10:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

Hi there, I just got a DS-1 on repair...M5223AL inside...
voltage diode war burnt, changed it but no changes, led lits but no sound...what should I check!? transistor, M5223AL?!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Renegadrian

THX Larry

according to the schem I have all the right voltages...

battery            9.02
r2              4.48
q1 C                 9.02
r4              4.48
r5                     4.48
r8                     9.02
r10                   4.48
m5112al pin 8   9.02
d4-d5               4.48
r19-r20             4.48
q3 C                 9.02
c23                   9.02
r24-r25            4.48
d2               9.02
r30-r31       4.48
R36               9.02

armdnrdy

Do you get bypassed signal bypass with the switch?

If so, I would audio probe the circuit to find where the signal stops.

If you had to replace the diode, that sounds like someone plugged in the wrong power supply and "toasted" a component.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

GibsonGM

Maybe a switching FET?  Just a really dumb guess since the Boss switching is kind of Greek to many.   +1,000 on the audio probe.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Renegadrian

Yeah I think that one of these components toasted...I'll audio probe tomorrow...thx for now...

GibsonGM

R.G. has an article on the switching at GEOFEX....one of these days I'll get one to work, never could when I tried to DIY one.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Renegadrian

UPDATE: Audio probed it, the signal stops at pin 3 of the M5223AL, which is the input, it should exit from pin 1 but no signal...Guess it's the SIP then...

armdnrdy

So you have signal at the input of U1A? (Pin 3, R39, D8)

Check that D8 is good.

Renegadrian

changed d8, still the same, no sound from the chip output

armdnrdy

Well...It looks like you need to replace the op amp.

If you can't find a M5223AL, you can make a daughter board for a replacement. Look through this thread for some op amp ideas.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=66209.0;wap2

Renegadrian

it seems there are some on aliexpress. I'll take one there...

Renegadrian

I bought the chip on aliexpress, 3 weeks wait...new chip new life...
another ds-1 got the chip burned, I built a small adapter and put a tl062 in it, not bad.