Phase 90 vs Boss PH-3

Started by fuzzyhead, May 03, 2014, 01:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Yes, blissfully analog.

If you're not sure whether a pedal is analog or digital, just search for the user manual/brochure and look at the specs for current consumption.  If the manual says 40ma or more, it's possibly digital, and if it draws >60ma, its quite probably digital.  I suspect that will change over time as the technology gets more efficient, but the numbers are valid for now.

zombiwoof

Quote from: fuzzyhead on May 05, 2014, 09:30:18 PM
Ok, thanks. Just another question, the phase 90 is analog, right? If it's not I don't want to be wasting my time with it.

Yes, but I think the newer "production" model phase 90 (not custom shop script RI) may also use SMD components and board mounted pots, jacks and switch, so harder to mod or repair.  The Custom Shop Script RI model is made just like the original, with through-hole components, handwired, not TB, no LED.  IMO it sounds better than the regular version, as I prefer the script circuit without the feedback circuit, but is more expensive (unless you get one for a lot less on Ebay used in mint condition).

Al

Mark Hammer

Given that fuzzyhead is pondering kit purchase, I think he will safely avoid the difficulties of SMD.

fuzzyhead

Yes, I am thinking about a kit, but I'm not sure yet. My birthday is coming so I may ask for a phase 90  :P

So what do you think I should go with? Phase 90 or a Small Stone?

Mark Hammer

The BYOC Phase Royale is essentially a P90 with a bunch of nice bells and whistles added - essentially all the mods you might want are already implemented (though I'd make the Bias trimpot a panel control).

fuzzyhead

Yes, I've looked at the BYOC phase royale and it's a possibility now that you've mentioned a little bit more about it. Thanks

Now I just have to listen to demos and see what I like and make a decision  :D

fuzzyhead

This is probably a noob question but I've seen and read about the phase 90 "script logo" and "block logo". What is the difference between the two?

Mark Hammer

Essentially sweep width and feedback amount.  Both of these were fixed, and folks like how they were set in one but less so in the other.  Both parameters are variable in the Royals, so you can nail both tones.

fuzzyhead

Ok, so basically it comes down to tone preference? What people think sounds best to them?

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

fuzzyhead