Broken Cable Simulator Pedal? (Yes, I'm serious).

Started by steveyraff, May 07, 2014, 08:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crontox102098

Quote from: Mario44 on May 07, 2014, 09:09:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcv-em1kQx4
maybe something like this, but I cant find any schem of this funny device

My contribution:
Easy... i think  :icon_rolleyes: a little ring modulator and a FET or LDR that is controlled by a variable speed random lfo...  :icon_lol:

A broken cable necessarily has a humm or psst or both... so i've seen some effects that make this with a simple opamp and some resistors.
I'm Carlos.

I speak spanish, just in case you do not understand what I say.

facon

A couple years ago I purchased an old Valco from the late 50's as a project amp. It had a bad solder joint that would cut in and out occasionally depending on how the note resonated the amps cabinet. We used it like that in the studio for a cool effect. The closest I could get it it is the sputtering/gating effect of an under biased fuzz face. It still isn't the same.

I wonder what would happen if you ran the signal to two pieces of foil that were folded and then pressed together. And even better, if you split the signal to a small headphone amplifier and put an earbud right on the foil. I don't know why my mind always goes to weird unreliable places.

Vallhagen

I think the Farmers Mill is exactly the box or sound you look for? Not a DIY project afaik though. but looks and sounds damn cool. I havent tried it myself, but there was someone here who bought one. Sadly i dont remember who.

http://www.crushsound.com/pages/view/Farmers-Mill/

Cheers.
/Bengt

Edit: Just checked that posted ^^ "anti-effect" link as well. Pretty close too.

teemuk

Duct tape a mercury switch to your speaker cabinet so that speaker rattle will randomly open or close the switch....?

Jdansti

Quote from: teemuk on May 12, 2014, 10:26:31 AM
Duct tape a mercury switch to your speaker cabinet so that speaker rattle will randomly open or close the switch....?

Or attached to your dog's tail.  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Tony Forestiere

Quote from: Jdansti on May 12, 2014, 05:19:08 PM
Or attached to your dog's tail.  ;D

Yeah, but then you have to pick him up for the gig, and pay his bar tab.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

teemuk

^ Well that would probably the most awesome and "rock-n-roll" -thing to do on a stage so what's wrong with that? A beer drinking dog wagging its tail to distort the tone of a guitar. Even Jimi Hendrix's stage moves weren't that cool.   :icon_biggrin:

gasmask

I thought about fuzz factory (zombii in diy - check madbeanpedals). When you have comp turned to 3-5 (clock) it sounds like some kind of a faulty cable. But the sound is still distorted. I suppose that it could be a simple buffer with some additional pots or resistors to create that sound....

AJDbass

Not a diy project, but there is the Chaosound Anti-Effect pedal

gasmask

wow. Its cool. I think it has ne555 chip which controlls LED/LDR or vtl. It is probably some kind of a choppy tremolo. Its my suggestion, I may be wrong.