Transistor question

Started by Canucker, May 07, 2014, 02:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

Not sure why I didn't ask this sooner but..... are all transistors doing basically the same job....like all NPNs doing the same thing (or all PNPs doing the same thing or all Jfets doing the same thing) just at different rates (possibly the wrong word for it).... and the HFE ranges just define what the transistor would be labeled as (within whatever is the acceptable range)........like if two transistors have a near identical HFE but are branded differently because the acceptable ranges overlap are they essentially the exact same???
Sorry if that came off as a slightly confusing run-on...I did grow up watching Threes Company! 

aron

If they have the same or similar specs in the data sheet, you can use them interchangeably.

LucifersTrip

For distortions, given that hfes and leakages are identical, what would be the next
most important spec that would affect the sound of a pedal?
always think outside the box

aron

Interesting question. I don't know if there's a single spec or specs from a data sheet that would indicate tone.

Mark Hammer

Particularly when you consider that "distortions" involve a very deliberate undermining or exploitation of a circuit so as to get the semiconductors to misbehave.  remember, the specs listed in datasheets are with respect to it being used properly and providing the purest amplification it can, under the best possible circumstances.  What WE want from it is possibly the worst it has to offer under the most disadvantageous circumstances.  They don't make spec-sheets for that.

Canucker

This was my way of getting around asking more questions about my Superfuzz.... I posted about how I pulled some C828's out of an old radio and the HFE values are drastically different....from the low low low 200's up to almost 340....and I was hoping to tame this pedal but with it that high I'm wondering if there is any benefit to having these...still waiting on a parts order to get some sockets to play around with all of my options.

LucifersTrip

there should be nothing wrong with those hfe's

remember, you have good working voltages, so all you have to do is compare
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=64068.0
always think outside the box

Thecomedian

If you're messing about in cutoff, capacitance of the base-collector junction may play a role in tone. Some people think russian MPxx transistors sound darker, as in Bonamassa fuzzes.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/joe-bonamassa-fuzz-face

QuoteThis pedal's hand-wired circuitry is built around matched NOS Russian military germanium transistors for their characteristic warmth and growl.

If different tubes can sound different even if they are supposedly interchangeable with no rebias, then it might be capacitance. I have no proof, but capacitances do vary a bit for devices. Maybe the C is too small to make a difference, though. I'll have to do some homework on it.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

davent

Quote from: Canucker on May 07, 2014, 04:09:51 PM
This was my way of getting around asking more questions about my Superfuzz.... I posted about how I pulled some C828's out of an old radio and the HFE values are drastically different....from the low low low 200's up to almost 340....and I was hoping to tame this pedal but with it that high I'm wondering if there is any benefit to having these...still waiting on a parts order to get some sockets to play around with all of my options.

Do you get things in line with how you hoped?

Got ten 2sc829c's from Honson's on Saturday, with my meter- Hfe's from 94-129, five between 113 & 120.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Thecomedian

semiconductors cant really misbehave, they do exactly what you tell em to  :icon_biggrin:

As far as canucker and davent, I've been looking at bistability, schmitt triggers, and comparators recently and starting to wonder if there isnt some small IC that can be integrated into the circuit that would be transparent and not used if the right gain transistor is in, and tamp down gain if a transistor has too high gain in the wrong spot.

BRB, brewing 6 cups of coffee and loading LTspice.  :P
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

bool

To revert to the original question:

A: "Yes, they all do basically the same job ... but each one in a slightly different manner ... which in turn makes life slightly more interesting ... if you are that kind of a person to ask these things".

Canucker

Quote from: davent on May 21, 2014, 09:15:42 PM

Got ten 2sc829c's from Honson's on Saturday, with my meter- Hfe's from 94-129, five between 113 & 120.

Where on earth were they hiding?????? I stilllll haven't gotten to socketing this thing!!!! Was out of town for over a week...its on the to do list for this coming week.

davent

Quote from: Canucker on May 24, 2014, 04:13:56 PM
Quote from: davent on May 21, 2014, 09:15:42 PM

Where on earth were they hiding?????? I stilllll haven't gotten to socketing this thing!!!! Was out of town for over a week...its on the to do list for this coming week.

I think they were down at toe level, a hands and knees search.   Also bought a few other 2sc's, 2236, 1383, 3804, Hfe range from 92- 198. Haven't had a chance to try any of them but do have a Standard Fuzz almost ready to give them a go in.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Canucker

That totally escaped me...I'll have to look next time....

I socketed everything and now have my weird pin out transistors in there and it sounds WWWWWWWWWWAAAAAYYYY more useable then with the 2n2222's that were in there....very happy with this!

Canucker

reassessed this and played it at a higher volume today....didn't realize when I was testing it I had it in the octave mode....there is NO octave happening at all and its slightly trebly...when I turn off the octave switch its all highs and zero lows and painful to listen to...guess I'm headed downtown to Honsons to see what my toes can find! Failing that I've got the sockets in there so I can swap things to see what happens....maybe change a capacitor to get a bit more bass or add some tone controls! I'm kinda determined on this one it sounds good but like theres to much or not enough of somethings at any given time!