transformer testing question - wurlitzer 200 series - 214 model

Started by newperson, May 21, 2014, 07:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newperson

Hi,
I have a Wurlitzer 214 student model keyboard that keeps blowing the fuse on startup.  It blows as soon as power is supplied.  I have found that someone put a 3A fuse in place of the .5A fuse the factory suggests. 

The wires are black/black for the main and red, red, red/yellow, and blue for the secondary.  The blue is suppose to be the HV line and the Red/yellow stripe is suppose to be the center tab.

Testing the power transformer fully out of circuit I get:

black to black= 8.784 ohm
black to any color= no reading

red to red= 3.17 ohm
red to blue= 176.12 ohm (both reds to the blue read the same)
red to R/Y= 1.717 ohm
red to R/Y= 1.544 ohm
blue to R/Y= 174.66 ohm

What is blowing the fuse?  The Red to Red seems to low to me.  Do these readings seem correct?

Digital Larry

I presume these secondaries go into a rectifier and then to a filter cap?  I'd sure check those also (especially the caps).  I can't comment on the transformer resistances, although they aren't SHORTED.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

newperson

It is certainly bad.  I went ahead and plugged it in.  The secondary is putting out 70+VAC when I think it should be around 25VAC.  Within about 3 seconds the "I am melting transformer" smell kicked in.  I took a bit more notice to the case and see where it has gotten hot/smokey in the past and turned the case smoke brown. 

I am wondering what part of the transformer is bad from those readings.  Just trying to learn something I guess rather than sticking in another unit and moving on.

Thanks,