The Hyperdrive amplifier

Started by tca, May 29, 2014, 06:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tca

Here is my run on Escobedo's Ultra Class A Superdrive Power Amp

Have fun!
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

bool

No source resistor? Even if it's a heavy class-A, if you use a source resistor bypassed with a cap, it will get somewhat 'saggy' and 'modulated' when you OD the amp, if you take care and mis-bias it properly ... it will reflect the 'duty cycle' misbehaviours. Even more fun is putting a properly sized cap across the transformer primary and pushing it ...

That is, if you don't want it pure and clean ...

tca

Quote from: bool on May 30, 2014, 04:11:00 AM
No source resistor? Even if it's a heavy class-A, if you use a source resistor bypassed with a cap, it will get somewhat 'saggy' and 'modulated' when you OD the amp, if you take care and mis-bias it properly ... it will reflect the 'duty cycle' misbehaviours. Even more fun is putting a properly sized cap across the transformer primary and pushing it ...

That is, if you don't want it pure and clean ...
I see what you mean... but I always end up by removing the source resistor/cap. This thing is meant to be overdriven that is the reason why I did not put a source resistor in the first place, but one could always put a 100Ohm resistor there.

Thanks.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

teemuk

"Adjust bias pot until sounds good."

Now that's a rule to live by.

...Or perhaps not.   :icon_lol:

wavley

Quote from: teemuk on May 30, 2014, 09:44:58 AM
"smoke pot until sounds good."

Now that's a rule to live by.

...Or perhaps not.   :icon_lol:

I fixed it for you, because I'm pretty sure there's a fair amount of that going around here.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com