Mistress pases just clean signal

Started by yeeshkul, June 03, 2014, 05:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeeshkul

Hi guys i have a Mistress to repair, it is the 1976 model. The owner switched polarity by mistake and after that it stopped working.
I've managed to repair the voltage regulator part, so that it gives 13V, however the circuit pases just clean signal,
no response to pots and trimpots (just the bias trimpot turns it off at low voltages).

Would you have any idea?

GibsonGM

Got a schematic?   Look here: http://www.metzgerralf.de/elekt/stomp/mistress/index.shtml

You get clean with it switched ON, not just in bypass??

If he switched polarity, you basically need to look at all the polarity-sensitive components.  Caps, diodes (think there's a Zener in there)...possibly the opamps, too :(   Hope not!

I'd go thru quickly (o'scope with an octopus, maybe) and check those....then audio probe the first opamp (a 4558, I think), see if you get signal there.   Whichever is easiest.     I hope your ICs didn't go!   See where the signal path takes you....   
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Govmnt_Lacky

Everything in that version is easily replaceable EXCEPT FOR the SAD1024 chip!!  :-\

Cross your fingers and pray to the electron gods that it is NOT that BBD!!!  :icon_eek: They are SPENDY!!!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

GibsonGM

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on June 03, 2014, 09:32:58 AM
Everything in that version is easily replaceable EXCEPT FOR the SAD1024 chip!!  :-\

Cross your fingers and pray to the electron gods that it is NOT that BBD!!!  :icon_eek: They are SPENDY!!!

Right.  The 4558's are 4 for a dollar, but the SAD is NOT a pretty purchase...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

yeeshkul

Guys i don't believe the sound would go through if the 4558 was dead. I am afraid the Bucket brigade kicked a bucket. Maybe LM339, or the CMOS, let's see.

Govmnt_Lacky

OR the Clock chip.....

Point is.... you should ABSOLUTELY verify every possibility before pronouncing the SAD chip DOA.  :-\
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

R.G.

The only definitive way to check that it's being clocked right is with an oscilloscope.

To test the SAD, you fire the thing up, use the oscope to verify that the clocks are good, solid logic signals very close to the power supply limits on the SAD, then you look for dry signal going into the input. Good clocks + good input signal + no delayed signal at the output of the SAD = many dollars spent to get a new chip. If you get good clocks, good signal at the SAD input, and a stepped approximation of the input signal at the output, the problem is elsewhere.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

yeeshkul

Guys i did some measurements on my oscilloscope, and here are the results:

1. I used 200mV, 500Hz input signal
2. Filter matrix switch, so the clock is steady
3. Color all the way down, so there is no feedback
4. Range and Rate in the middle position
5. Fed by 18V, V+ adjusted to 13V during the voltage regulator repair.

Clocks (both working)

4558 input

4558 output / SAD1024 input

SAD1024 output

effect output

The output signal is just clean, no effect :(.

Turning VR1 bias trimpot doesn't influence the sound. When i move the trimpot, the signal "jumps around" but then it sits where it had been before.

GibsonGM

I have some thoughts on this, but would rather see what the big dogs come up with, having had their hands on clocked circuits a lot more than I have!   I could embarrass myself, ha ha. 

I wouldn't call the output "clean", Yeeshkul - and I'd say you're a lot closer to having an answer, based on what I see!   Hang in there.

R.G.?
  • SUPPORTER

yeeshkul

When i put an audio probe on input of SAD, i can hear the clean signal with phasing noise in the background - same thing can be heard on the output of SAD, just a lot quieter than the input one. This was an audio sound test before i switched the switch to Filter matrix to stop the clock from sweeping.

Govmnt_Lacky

Time to head on over to the debugging thread and repost with the information....

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

yeeshkul

The weird thing is that the output of the SAD chip was really quiet, however from the picture it seems pretty loud. I'll re-check it, just to be sure.
I guess i am picturing a 47kHz signal that was modulated on 500Hz signal.

R.G.

Your SAD1024 is working OK. The problem is likely in the filtering and stuff after the 1024.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Govmnt_Lacky

A couple of "so we dont get caught with our pants around our ankles" questions:

- You are CERTAIN that you are not getting any kind of filtering while in Filter Matrix mode correct? Did you try turning the Range pot while playing?

- Does the LFO work while in Flange mode? Can you hear the sound fluxuating OR can you see the voltages on the LM339 fluxuate with the Speed pot?

- Did you check the Filter Matrix/Flange switch to make certain that it WAS switching?

Looking at the schematic, and going by RG's comment above, there isn't much after the SAD to check. Basically the Color trimmer and some resistors/caps for broken parts or cold solder joints.

yeeshkul

Thank you for your concern guys, i will be back to it tomorrow, i am off for some beer now :)

yeeshkul

So i am back to this. I realized that when i switch it to Flange mode, and turn the rate knob way up, there IS an effect - it sounds like a weak tremolo. No flanging though, and the Color knob doesn't have any effect. The trimpot does have some influence on the sound but not the pot itself.

Here is the SAD output in 1ms range just for comparsion with the input signal pictured above.

yeeshkul

QuoteYou are CERTAIN that you are not getting any kind of filtering while in Filter Matrix mode correct? Did you try turning the Range pot while playing?
Yes, i am. No flanging at any mode. I'm getting a clean sound in matrix mode + none of the pots seem to work.
I am getting tremolo in the Flange mode - Rate pot changes the tremolo rate and Range pot also seems to change the sound a bit. Color does absolutely nothing at all.

QuoteDoes the LFO work while in Flange mode? Can you hear the sound fluxuating OR can you see the voltages on the LM339 fluxuate with the Speed pot?

Measured on the Range pot viper, Flange mode, Range all the way to the left.

Rate at max

Rate at min

Turning Range pot clockwise adds on amplitude, and keeps the same frequency (almost).

QuoteDid you check the Filter Matrix/Flange switch to make certain that it WAS switching?
Yes it does switch. Measured.

Govmnt_Lacky

I think it is time for debug voltages.

GO to the link I posted above and repost here... with that format... and the requested info!  ;)

Fender3D

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on June 05, 2014, 07:56:59 AM
I think it is time for debug voltages.

^^

Check what's the bias voltage @BBD's pins 2 and 15 (it should be slightly lower than half power supply)
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

yeeshkul

Model:Electric Mistress 1976.

Brief description:
The early model with 2N3563 tranzistors in place of Zener diode and between LM741 output and common base tranny input.
The pedal was apparently damaged by wrong polarity feeding. I repaired the voltage regulator, inserting Zener in
and adjusting 18k resistor (in the output voltage divider) to 22k so now it gives 12.96V (V+).  I also replaced the common base transistor for
BC327-25, however the original one didn't seem to be burned. I replaced LM741, as my previous experience with burned our Mistress
pedals leads me to belief that this one kicks the bucket first.

- the 12.96V (negative ground) voltage regulator is working fine and it is not an issue.
- the pedal had the color pot replaced, i measured it and it seems to be all right.

The issue:
The pedal doesn't provide any flanging, just tremolo sound and color pot doesn't have any impact on the sound.
All LFO, VCO, and both clock working fine (the two clocks seem to be in phase, hope that is all right), SAD have an input and provide an output signal - see above.

Here are the voltages:

4558 chip
1. 6.56V
2. 6.56V
3. 6.5V
4. 0
5. 6.5V
6. 6.57V
7. 6.57V
8. 12.96V

LM339 chip
1. signal swinging around 6V ish
2. signal swinging
3. 12.96V
4. 6.57V
5. 6.58V
6. signal swinging around 2V ish
7. signal swinging around 3V ish
8. 0.08V
9. signal swinging around 4V ish
10.  signal swinging
11. 0.43V
12. 0V
13. 0.02V
14. signal swinging around 2V ish

CD4013 chip
1. signal swinging
2. signal swinging
3. 0V
4. signal swinging around 3V ish
5. 0V
6. 0.02V
7. 0V
8. 0V
9. 6.43-6.46V
10. 0V
11. signal swinging around 6V ish
12. 6.43-6.46V
13.  6.43-6.46V
14. 12.96V

SAD1024 BBD chip
1. 0V
2. 6.56V
3. 6.43-6.45V
4. 0V
5. 12.95V
6. 1.16-1.23V
7. 12.96V
8. 6.43-6.46V
9. 12.96V
10. 6.43-6.46V
11. 12.96V
12. 1.16-1.23V
13. 0V
14. 6.43-6.45V
15. 6.56V
16. 0V

BC177 tranny
b. 11.82V
e. signal swinging around 2V ish
c. 12.41V

There don't seem to be a DC voltage leak to the output filtering stage.