Squiggley? TV effect

Started by aettin, June 04, 2014, 06:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aettin

Hi all--
So perhaps technically not a pedal, but there's no other group of knowledgeable engineers who I would think could handle a question as weird as this... Jack White's new video for Lazaretto has this old school TV with three stripes that oscillate in tune with his guitar. How freakin cool? But more importability, how does this work, and how can I make one? Pic attached below, but I'd suggest giving the video a look too.

Many thanks!

stallik

I wonder if I'm going to be the only dumbo who tried to press play on that pic :icon_redface:
Kind of looks like 3 frequency traces turned on the side just a bit thicker
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

italianguy63

Since it is Jack White, I am pretty sure it is done with a Burst Box.
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Tony Forestiere

Quote from: stallik on June 04, 2014, 06:50:23 PM
I wonder if I'm going to be the only dumbo who tried to press play on that pic :icon_redface:

Nope  ;D I did also scroll to the far right to look for the YT link.  :icon_redface:
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

aettin

Haha apologies for the confusion. Link below

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI-95cTMeLM

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

aettin

You're totally right GibsonGM! He made an oscilloscope out of a Predicta Debutante. Well done all! I wonder how you get three lines instead of one?

wildebelor

i'm going to go ahead and assume it's done in post production.

They may have used a scope originally and then tripled the lines and arranged them to be the way you see them in the video.
Another way would be to just use that tv as an external monitor and play a pre-made video of a scope 'syncing' to the guitar.

remember, television / film is trickery!

:icon_mrgreen:
I can't think of anything funny just yet.

MrStab

Quote from: wildebelor on June 04, 2014, 08:10:44 PM
i'm going to go ahead and assume it's done in post production.

i'm no expert, but i'm inclined to agree. in the pic, the bottom-left corner of the screen seems a bit too close to the edge, and there's light reflecting off the frame that would probably wreak havok with the screen itself. i could be totally wrong, though.

where are those moon-landing hoax guys when you need em?!
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

Jdansti

+1. Lots of special effects in that vid.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

commathe

I agree that it is probably post-production digital trickery. However, check this out it might interest you:

http://www.lzxindustries.net/

amptramp

There was a construction project at one time in a magazine (probably Radio-Electronics) for an oscilloscope that used a TV as the vertical scan and used a discharge circuit driven by the input as a pulse position modulator so the pulse that turned the screen on was placed at a horizontal position corresponding to voltage.  It was a 2-tube circuit that was added to a TV to make a scope.

The picture appears to be photoshopped, but the effect shown can be added to a TV with little effort.

FUZZZZzzzz

take a look at this website.
http://gieskes.nl/

Its a Dutch guy who does all kinds of video/audio stuff.. (i mean crazy in the coconut stuff). You might be able to find some answers here.

this one: http://gieskes.nl/visual-equipment/?file=oscillatoscope1

pcb is 65 euros ;)
http://gieskes.nl/shop/
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

italianguy63

Funny that people want to replicate noise we were trying to avoid (back in the day).
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

aettin

I knew this was the right place to ask! FUZZZZzzzz I think you've really hit the nail on the head. Gonna try attach one of these to an old school CRT with composite input. Don't too sure why the board is so much.. haha but beggars can't be picky I guess. Really appreciate it folks!!

duck_arse

all those old video clips from the sixties, especially australian ones, had squiggles on them. I have always assumed it was power supply noise, somehow induced on peaks by overly loud amps.

I once helped make a film clip, the geezer wanted a screen of static. he drew static on a bit of paper, held it up to the video camera, and drew it across the frame. jack white, surely, would have a thousand animators at the simpsons animation house draw a million cells, to his specifications, to be flikkered in front of whatever it is they use to produce cartoons with these days.

he could then write a song that matches the images shown, like post-sync.
don't make me draw another line.

marmora

PRR

IMHO: the Predicta is actually displaying the waves; he may have created it for live shows.

In long shots you can see it beat/tear against the camera frame rate; an artifact they would avoid in post-production (and do, in the close-ups).

The vertical sweep is 60Hz which is a fine sweep for general music watching. If he favors certain keys, it could be fudged 55Hz or 70Hz, whatever is a best sub-multiple of his favored pitches. Leaking a little audio into the V-sweep osc might even improve the tendency to appear locked.

In theory you could just put the audio to the H-sweep coils with the video (brightness) up. However in a real TV this gives real problems. We need a fully-loaded H-sweep system to make the HV for the tube. Silence would burn a vertical line in the screen. Etc.

I think it uses a one-shot delay. The H-sweep is about 60uSec. Use a '555 timed for a 30uSec delay. Another '555 makes a 4uSec pulse, which goes to the video amp and pulses the beam brightness. That gives a vertical line about 1/15th the width of the screen. Now leak some audio into the 30uSec '555 Vref, to wobble the 30uS delay from 25uS to 35uS. The vertical line is bent according to the audio.

Because of sampling-rate artifacts, the audio probably has to be band-limited to maybe 100Hz-1KHz. This is often good for entertaining o'scope watching anyway. (All those fizzy overtones clutter-up the screen.)

He has three traces. Perhaps three '555 delays centered at 20uS 30uS 40uS. Or just-maybe a few hundred feet of coax, wired to bounce 'ghost" reflections. (I've done this unwittingly with multiple monitors on a poorly terminated line.)
  • SUPPORTER

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: aettin on June 05, 2014, 11:57:06 AM
I knew this was the right place to ask! FUZZZZzzzz I think you've really hit the nail on the head. Gonna try attach one of these to an old school CRT with composite input. Don't too sure why the board is so much.. haha but beggars can't be picky I guess. Really appreciate it folks!!

Please let us know how you get on!.. I met this guy a couple of years ago. At the time he was still more into circuitbending, building these crazy devices. He's a really nice guy and will probably answer your questions about anything. He's also working with bleeplabs on the hss3i (i think its his creation)  http://bleeplabs.com/hss3i/

ps. Kit (w VAT) is 66,55 and that includes all your components. I think thats quite resonable. first i thought it was only the pcb :O
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"