DBA Interstellar Overdriver PROBLEMS

Started by fuzzmonger, June 05, 2014, 06:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzmonger

Hi y'all,

I've been smashing my head against the wall trying to figure out how I managed to @#$% up this layout.
Original vero layout from TagboardEffects

My perf layout based on the above

When I plug it in, it just buzzes at me only the two controls act as one might expect on the buzzing signal (gain makes the buzz less buzzy and the volume control turns it down. Not all the way down though).

Unplug the power and the clean guitar signal passes through almost totally uneffected ???

As a collector-to-ground design, not sure if posting transistor voltages will be of any use but I will measure it if it'll shed any light.

I've built this board twice with all new components each time. Each time, same issue so it's got to be the layout.

Soldering and wiring is some of the neatest I've done - no dry joints, schoolboy errors there.

PLEASE HELP - I CAN'T LET A @#$%ING THREE-TRANNY OVERDRIVER BEAT ME

-Fuzzmonger
-Fuzzmonger

GibsonGM

This is why I don't like Vero.  A "layout" doesn't show you how a circuit works.  Do you have an actual schematic, Fuzz?   Without one, a person has to look at the vero and guess if this is how you MEANT to wire it up.

A VERY quick look makes me wonder if your transistors aren't in backwards or something?  Without a schematic, can't see how it SHOULD work, y'know.    Post voltages...

Check out the debugging thread in the main section FMI. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

induction

It looks correct according the schematic I found, except that your pots are all shown wired backwards (they're shown correctly in the vero layout, though). There are a few tracks in the layout that I can't see because they are hidden by components, so I'm making the assumption that those are connected or not connected appropriately. I also notice that the jack grounds are unconnected in the layout. I assume you connected those to ground in your builds?

What transistors are you using? I understand that you need fairly low gains and careful biasing for this circuit to work correctly. Like Mike said, post voltages.

Quote from: GibsonGMThis is why I don't like Vero.  A "layout" doesn't show you how a circuit works.
Neither does a pcb. That's not what they're for. I agree you should reference a schematic when you make a layout, but I don't understand how that's any different for vero than for pcb, turretboard, perf, wire-wrap, or nails on a door.

duck_arse

+1 on the circuit diagram
+1 on the socket earths
+1 on the transistors
+1 on the door nails

no matter what your layout diagram shows, if you show us a photo of what you actually built, we may spot a difference or two. collector-to-ground circuits will still have base and emitter voltages for the looking at and the measurings of.
don't make me draw another line.

fuzzmonger

Quote from: induction on June 05, 2014, 11:24:03 AM
I also notice that the jack grounds are unconnected in the layout. I assume you connected those to ground in your builds?

Well, you know what happens when you assume.. @#$% me, I felt stupid.

Cheers for the help and suggestions :) if any of you were thinking of building this, try it with MPSA18s. Mother@#$%er, does this thing growl with MPSA18s!

-Fuzzmonger
-Fuzzmonger

duck_arse

don't make me draw another line.

fuzzmonger

Indeed. Share my shameful rat's nest of a pedal OR think a bit, as I should have done in the first place before bothering you nice folks with my shambolic incompetence at something I have the cheek to charge people good money for.  :-[

-Fuzzmonger
-Fuzzmonger