Insulated (plastic), but chrome, box-style 1/4" socket?

Started by MrStab, June 06, 2014, 09:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrStab

Hi,

I THINK what i'm looking for is used in Rat pedals, i can't quite recall. I was wondering if anyone could point me towards insulated box-style mono jacks (or stereo, less-ideally) which are chrome, not black plastic, for the sake of having the input & output look the same without having one connected to ground. cheapish and available in larger volumes, if possible. the Switchcraft panel kinds, like this:

i live in the UK but am willing to import if it's feasible. i fixed a friend's Danelectro Cool Cat (i think) which had blatantly different-looking jacks - one metal, one plastic, but i think that only worked because they were kinda out of view on the back of the pedal, whereas i want these on the sides.

...unless you guys think people won't care about the difference?

cheers for any help!
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

tca

"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

MrStab

many thanks, TCA! unfortunately all those seem to have black plastic, except the Alibaba link - i can't tell if those are chrome plastic or metal (they seem to have solder tabs near the input).

i need a deceptive, undercover-agent jack: plastic pretending to be metal. i wonder how i could try hunting down ProCo's source...
Recovered guitar player.

duck_arse

the jack in yr picture looks near exact to what tayda send when you give them money.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

MrStab

but do Tayda do the plastic ones? (which i'm starting to think i may have imagined...)
i'll have a wee look
Recovered guitar player.

Circusbrains

Google the manufacturers part number of taydas offering

It is: PJ-629HAN

MrStab

thanks for the part number, Circus. all i can find in the way of a datasheet is the first result, http://www.chunsheng.com/upimg/media1/PJ-629HAN.pdf, which doesn't indicate if it's plastic or not, but the reflection in the pic looks kinda plasticky...! (knowing me, it probably does state that, but i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed).

guess i'll just have to order one and cross my fingers, unless anyone can vouch? cheers for the lead!
Recovered guitar player.

Pojo

Just curious, is there any particular reason for one of the jacks on the dano pedal to be isolated and the other not? Also, the enclosed Tayda jacks mentioned above are metal sleeved and not insulated...but are decent jacks for the money nonetheless.

MrStab

ahh okay, so they're not plastic. thanks for letting me know. i can find the regular ones no problem.

in every single pedal i've made, having two metal jacks has never proved a problem - from what i've read, however, it's just a bit less than ideal to have more than one ground point, and i figure at least 2 companies i've seen use this solution for a good reason. i prefer grounding via. jacks than having to screw onto the enclosure. i don't like Boss's solution of relying on grounding one jack entirely via. the enclosure - i've "fixed" (if you can even call it that) a few for friends just by tightening the nut.

i'm making a bunch to give away so i guess i wanna prepare for any nuances in different setups at high volumes etc.
there are numerous threads covering this topic where people have also reported it's fine to not worry about this, but i figured it was worth looking into.
Recovered guitar player.

MrStab

next question: anyone know of any metal jacks that're black?!  ;D
Recovered guitar player.

bluebunny

Quote from: MrStab on June 06, 2014, 11:33:29 PM
next question: anyone know of any metal jacks that're black?!  ;D

These?

Axetec do some too, but being a "guitar parts" store, they're outrageously expensive.

But not this.   ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

MrStab

thanks Marc! didn't believe there actually would be anything like that! guess the chassis grounding would be done via. the metal behind the black bushing, and not the bushing itself (hopes terminology is correct...). either way, i need a box jack, unfortunately.

i think i might try one of those shoulder washers:

...but i won't push it much further beyond that.

to avoid starting another thread, i was wondering if anyone knew a source of jacks like these, enclosed but with the solder lugs at a right-angle?

datasheet: http://www.nexus-de.com/catalog/files/153

tried the usual sites, and can find big-fish suppliers with an MOQ, but i can't find a distributor/poor man's retailer. the total length of the regular variety is always around 35mm, and i want just a bit more clearance from a nearby 3PDT switch in my enclosure. Product code is HTJ-064-13.

cheers!

Edit: yknow, i think Boss pedals have what i'm looking for in their input jacks. *searches Boss-style jacks...*
Recovered guitar player.

duck_arse

notice the anti-rotate pip in the top-right corner?

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

bluebunny

Not sure if I've understood you correctly, Grant, whether you need insulated or not insulated?  Had you seen these at Rapid?

<--- click!

The lugs come out the bottom, rather than the end.  And the datasheet tells us they're 23.8mm long (behind the panel) or 34.2mm total.  And they're black on the outside, in case that's still a requirement.  And they're sealed.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

MrStab

i have seen those - thanks for the suggestion, though. lugs coming out the bottom is v. tempting, may need to insulate to the enclosure if i wind up using 2. i'll check the measurements, & maybe pick some up next time i make a Rapid purchase on Thursday. whether chrome or black, i just need one to be conducting to the enclosure and one not to be. well, maybe not "need". but now my enclosure layout is coming together, i'm starting to realise that length is a key issue as well, so the parameters have become more complicated since the start of this thread.

i have an issue with Rapid at the moment - they repeatedly screw up capacitors (eg. 10uF on bag as desired, but 2.2uF inside!!!) and sometimes their stock levels are unreliable. they've actually phoned up to apologise at one point, but conveniently ignored my last email. as i'm backed into a corner by force of habit and convenience, all i can think of doing is not buying caps from them for a while.
Recovered guitar player.