Which Big Muff or other variant would you recommend me?

Started by Les Paul Lover, June 08, 2014, 12:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Paul Lover

Quote from: jtn191 on June 11, 2014, 12:05:50 AM
Also, mod the tone stack for more mids...permanently as opposed to a mids control...
-If both caps are equal, both resistors are equal=mid setting is flat. Making them closer to being equal reduces mid scoop but retains a slight scoop.

Use both ~39k resistors and 0.01uF caps for flat response.

-If the capacitor in the low pass/high cut (same thing) portion of the filter is about double the value of the high pass/low cut= mid hump is the result

look up "beavis big muff tone stack" for more info.

I'm having a hard time getting my head around that. How do capacitors and resistors going straight to ground affect the circuit tone???

One more thing I don't understand - how does the actual tone pot interact with the tone in the Bmp? Turned down I assume is 0 ohm, maxed out is 50k, 100k or 250k ohms - sonically, what does that do?

nocentelli

The resistor -> cap-to-ground part is the low pass filter, it bleeds only high frequencies through the cap to ground and sounds bassy+muffled: The cap -> resistor-to-ground is the high pass filter, it bleeds only low frequencies to ground through the resistor and sounds bright and thin. The frequency at which treble or bass is "rolled off" is determined by the cap and resistor values.

The pot simply blends, or pans between these two extremes: If you turn it all the way "down", the resistance between the lowpass filter and the output to the next stage is zero, so you get maximum bassy/muffled signal - At the same time, the resistance between the high-pass filter and output will maxed at 100k (or whatever the pot value), so you get minimal trebly/thin-ness. If you turn it all they way "up", these conditions are reversed.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

duck_arse

and let's not forget the big muff tone control is a melded/simplified 2 pot "stack". you can un-mod the muff-style so you have a treble pot and a bass pot.

there are some good pages on tone control over at AMZ.
don't make me draw another line.

ARCADIA

Effect pedal Kits,RTS PCB And more

jtn191

Nocentelli speaks the truth, basically what I said in my first post ;)

jtn191

And seriously. Go to the Beavis Audio page on Big Muff tone control

Les Paul Lover

Quote from: jtn191 on June 13, 2014, 08:02:29 AM
And seriously. Go to the Beavis Audio page on Big Muff tone control

I've done that, thank you, it was very informative.

I think I've decided to use the pharaoh tone stock reducing the 470k resistor down to between 100k and 250k. I think.

For those of you who have done it, do you like your muffs with flat eq or even even mid hump eq?
I know I tend to like mids rich tones, but I'm wondering if all/most of the design out there are at least slightly scooped because it fits that circuit better.....????

That's the difficulty I have right now. Not only it's difficult enough to chose a muff circuit, it's even harder when you can't have review of one with the tone stack you want.....!!!! And whilst breadbording sounds great, with the time I have on my hand to work on builds, I'm not sure it's realistically feasible. If I can spare 3/4 a month I'm pretty happy with that, that with kids, band practice, 1 pub night a week....... Blablabla....   lol

Anyway, I'm seriously thinking ram head version with mid hump tone stack...... Good idea?
Are there any gain circuit simulators that you know of, like the tone stack simulator??

Thanks again to all.of you, I haven't responded to each of.you individually, but I've taken each answer into account and read all suggestions. MUCH appreciated!!!!!!

jojokeo

Quote from: aron on June 08, 2014, 05:30:22 PM
I would simulate changes with the Duncan tone stack and try and mod the pedal to be closer to what you want:
http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

Is this okay to d/l using Windows 7 or 8.1???

Ben N

These AMZ mods to the BMP tone control are mentioned above, but here are the links, for your reading pleasure:
http://www.muzique.com/lab/atone.htm & http://www.muzique.com/lab/tone3.htm. You can go crazy making this circuit cuper tweakable, because the possibilities are endless, but it can be a lot of fun. And we haven't even started with transistors yet!
  • SUPPORTER