Some decal help please.

Started by Focalized, June 09, 2014, 05:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Focalized

I used to do lots of these with no problem.

Now with a different printer, same program, everything has come out too big. Paint Shop Pro. Canon Pixma. I''ve been trying different templates just for a simple smooth border set per box size. Though I'm not sure I'm importing the image sizes correctly into Paint Shop Pro. I don't think anybody uses it. Making a rounded rectangle doesn't work in this program the way you'd expect. The rounded corners are weird.

I've done test prints on regular paper that were fine but once I go to photo quality something seems to enlarge everything.

Only setting I keep thinking about is borderless printing. Selected it says images are enlarged and quality degrades. I deselect it.

I don't know what to ask if else.

Otherwise maybe my post about a good printer for decal paper can be recalled from here.

Guitarboy2828

I've never used paint shop pro, so if it's a program specific problem, I can't help.

But, often photo quality increases the dpi from 300 to 600. Possibly check that?

GGBB

Borderless printing will enlarge the image so that it expands beyond the bounds of the chosen paper size.  This definitely needs to be off if you want to be sure that the printed size is the same as the original image size.  Paint Shop Pro should let you set the print size on the actual image somewhere.  I'd assume this is okay since you've had no problems before, but you should check it.  What you need to do is find the printer setting for scale or size and make sure it is 100%/original.  Are you printing from Paint Shop Pro or another application? 
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

Which PSP? Up to 7 is one family. After 7 is a VERY different program, which I will not use.

In my PSP 7.04 (also in PSP5) I can set the image size and print size in Inches (or mm).

OR I can (Print Setup) set "fit page" which will blow-up or shrink the image to fit the paper (with specified margins).

Girlie-pictures I want blown-up as big as possible (something happened to my eyes).
Physical templates of course need to print 2.345" exact or they won't fit the box.

The round-corner box.... I thought that was my video card. I had good round-rectangle on previous machines. This video card seems to have an off-by-one-pixel error, when scrolling or moving-around. (Windows uses the video-driver for print composition.)

But I also wonder if your printer is "too smart".
  • SUPPORTER

Focalized

My printer is too smart. It find something wrong with everything I give it.

I'll try a few more settings. I just can't keep wasting paper and ink.

A quick fix is to just shrink the images i know should fit about 5%. That worked on a couple.

Focalized

Oh and it's PSP 8.

I never get really into graphic design and I hate using menus. I followed a Gimp tutorial on creating a design, properly using layers and all. Might try that program more.

Here's what I meant by drawing a rounded corner rectangle. If threre's setting to make the corners even I don't know.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

Focalized

See that makes sense. Rounded rectangle.

I think my problem might be a case of stretching the decal too. I haven't done it for a while.

And while I'm sharing my mishaps I'll mention that regular photo paper looks just like decal paper. Some labeling on the back would be nice. 

I found I only have a couple sheets of clear decal left. It's actually a bit off white. I bought it from Papilio. Don't know where I'll get some more.

And lastly I found that I had gotten  some matte water slide paper. I'm guessing that kind is just white backing? 

bcalla

A couple of things.

1. My printer has a scaling option in the advanced settings.  That needs to be off.
2. You might want to switch to Inkscape,  It's free, and there are lots of tutorials and help documents out there.  I could never figure out graphics software, but I have been able to get what I need out of Inkscape.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."
       -- Mark Twain