Rangemaster boost LED / on-off LED

Started by MariaOrsic, June 09, 2014, 11:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MariaOrsic

Hi all,
I am new to building this amazing stuff... I have a rangemaster kit but the schematic is pretty sketchy for a newbie! I have managed to work out which way the transistor goes, and now need to work out how to put a boost switch and LED indicator into the circuit (and which components I need), and also an on-off LED.

I know I need to use a 3pdt switch instead of the one shown.

Can anyone help me by adapting/updating the attached schematic please? As I am new, I have trouble trying to reconcile other circuits that folks put out there with what I have. I am sure I am not alone in this!

Um, I can't seem to attach an image! It won't let me browse here...?

Any advice on how to attach images first please?

Thank you

seedlings

Welcome to the addiction!

To post an image you'll need to upload to a hosting/storage website (your own, photobucket, etc), and then link to that site.

The rangemaster is a booster.  You want to engage/disengage the circuit, or do you want an additional boost switch?

CHAD

MariaOrsic

Thank you Chad.

Ah, ok, I don't have a hosting site, I will have to create one.

I want to add an atonal boost switch.

Thank you

mth5044

Photobucket is good if you want to keep your imagines, or you can use image shack for free.

What part of the circuit do you want to modify for this atonal boost switch? I believe atonal means without a key, which makes no sense as a boost switch. If you create a boost that tracks the key you're playing in, you best post the schematic.

duck_arse

maria, you can use imgur to post anonymously, free, no account needed. some people persist with dropbox or imageshack and the like. I dumped imageshack when they started charging for hosting.
don't make me draw another line.

MariaOrsic

Ooh, thank you duck a*se.

Try this.... http://imgur.com/2S8LLkE

Hope it works!

mth5044 I want it basically to have a level and distortion function?

thanks

seedlings

Is that a typo, or does this circuit run +/- 9V (18V)?

CHAD

MariaOrsic

I guess its a typo.... the circuit was supplied on the site I bought the items off...?

seedlings

Quote from: MariaOrsic on June 09, 2014, 11:12:58 AM
Hi all,
I am new to building this amazing stuff... I have a rangemaster kit but the schematic is pretty sketchy for a newbie! I have managed to work out which way the transistor goes, and now need to work out how to put a boost switch and LED indicator into the circuit (and which components I need), and also an on-off LED.

I know I need to use a 3pdt switch instead of the one shown.

Can anyone help me by adapting/updating the attached schematic please?

To use a 3pdt switch and LED you should wire something like this:

CHAD

seedlings

One other thing - on the rangemaster, the 'boost' knob is a misnomer.  It's the volume knob.  There is no 'gain' knob or 'tone' knob, just the lone volume knob, because it's a booster pedal only.  If you want some other tone shaping to happen, it will have to be added.  As built, it's a fantastic treble booster - clean throughout the first half of the Boost, and dirty after that.

CHAD

MariaOrsic

CHAD,

Thank you, that is fantastic – just what I needed. I am so glad I have found this forum... I look forward to enjoying this cool past time with you.

Many thanks again.

MariaOrsic

Hi Chad,

Sorry to bother you again... but could you please tell me what the 'Output' lead goes to? It a mono jack socket? If so, which tab is it soldered to?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, it is only my second box!

Many thanks

seedlings

Quote from: MariaOrsic on June 11, 2014, 11:17:46 AM
Hi Chad,

Sorry to bother you again... but could you please tell me what the 'Output' lead goes to? It a mono jack socket? If so, which tab is it soldered to?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, it is only my second box!

Many thanks

Sounds like you're so close to completion!   :D

The Output goes to the tip of the output 1/4" jack (similarly to the input).  The sleeve will go to the +9v just like the input jack.  NOTE: this effect uses Positive Ground (for that pnp germanium transistor), so it will NOT play nice with any standard negative ground pedal (99.9% of all other pedals).  It can plug into your amp though.

CHAD

induction

Quote from: seedlings on June 11, 2014, 03:56:58 PM
NOTE: this effect uses Positive Ground (for that pnp germanium transistor), so it will NOT play nice with any standard negative ground pedal (99.9% of all other pedals).  It can plug into your amp though.

CHAD

You can't power it with a daisy chain that's shared with negative ground pedals. If it has its own adapter or a battery you can use it with other pedals just fine.

seedlings

Quote from: induction on June 11, 2014, 04:42:58 PM
Quote from: seedlings on June 11, 2014, 03:56:58 PM
NOTE: this effect uses Positive Ground (for that pnp germanium transistor), so it will NOT play nice with any standard negative ground pedal (99.9% of all other pedals).  It can plug into your amp though.

CHAD

You can't power it with a daisy chain that's shared with negative ground pedals. If it has its own adapter or a battery you can use it with other pedals just fine.

Oh, yes!  I don't build with batteries, so I forget those things.  Important things.

CHAD

MariaOrsic

Thanks Induction and Chad...

Drat! Where IS the ground on this schematic? (why do vendors only give you HALF the information, we are not all Mr Electro Harmonix!!).... would you mind please showing me gentlemen?

Also, am I correct in my investigation that the ground (on negative boxes), is a lead to a ground loop simply soldered to the case?

Where does a positive ground go to?

Thank you again!

seedlings

Quote from: MariaOrsic on June 12, 2014, 08:50:50 AM
Thanks Induction and Chad...

Drat! Where IS the ground on this schematic? (why do vendors only give you HALF the information, we are not all Mr Electro Harmonix!!).... would you mind please showing me gentlemen?

Also, am I correct in my investigation that the ground (on negative boxes), is a lead to a ground loop simply soldered to the case?

Where does a positive ground go to?

Thank you again!
I agree.  This diagram provided is not the greatest.  "-9V" is the battery minus terminal and "+9V" is the battery plus terminal.  Your confusion comes because of that germanium transistor which requires positive ground.  This means that the circuit looks 'normal' except the + and - are swapped for the entire circuit.  So your enclosure will be at +9V instead of 0V.  Read about the circuit here:

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/rangemaster/atboost.pdf

CHAD

MariaOrsic

Thanks, that's helpful and an interesting read.

So I can still ground this to the case, but take the ground lead from where on the circuit?

seedlings

Quote from: MariaOrsic on June 12, 2014, 09:24:46 AM
Thanks, that's helpful and an interesting read.

So I can still ground this to the case, but take the ground lead from where on the circuit?

The 'ground' of this circuit is the +9V, the same place the outer sleeve of the input and output jacks are connected.  So, do not connect the battery " -" terminal to the enclosure, but you could connect the +9V to the enclosure... if you are using metal in/out jacks, the sleeve will contact the enclosure for you, with no need for additional wires.  With plastic jacks, you may, or could, connect ghe +9V to the enclosure, but that connection may not be necessary.

CHAD