Tremulus Lune Volume drop issue

Started by BDuguay, June 11, 2014, 04:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDuguay

I've got one of the early versions and there is a noticeable drop in volume when engaged. It has a rectangle LED that is not going bright enough to make up the volume difference. I've dropped the current limiting resistor down from 1k to 500ohms but I'm not sure it helped much. Where else to look?
Thanks,
B.

GibsonGM

So it's a commercial one, not DIY?   

Maybe read the voltages, Brian...something is going on if "the led isn't going bright enough", y'know?    I'd do that and audio probe, see if you can localize it or if it's everywhere.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

BDuguay

This one is definitely a d.i.y. and not a kit. The trem itself works but at a much lower volume than bypass.
B.

mth5044

Check out the What To Do When It Doesn't Work / Debugging thread and post what you find here.

BDuguay

Quote from: mth5044 on June 12, 2014, 11:57:05 AM
Check out the What To Do When It Doesn't Work / Debugging thread and post what you find here.
I guess what I'm asking is how do I increase the voltage to the LED in the LFO section so that the LED will shine brighter at it's peak to give more volume. I don't know enough about how opamps work in that regard.
B.

samhay

How about thinking about this another way. Does your circuit have a trimmer or a fixed resistor across the feedback loop of the second op-amp? In either case, if you increase the resistance here, you will get more gain and thus more volume.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

BDuguay

Quote from: samhay on June 12, 2014, 02:40:59 PM
How about thinking about this another way. Does your circuit have a trimmer or a fixed resistor across the feedback loop of the second op-amp? In either case, if you increase the resistance here, you will get more gain and thus more volume.
Fixed resistor for sure. There's no trimpot on this circuit. Now, which is the gain resistor is the question. Gotta go to soccer right now.....

mth5044

GibsonGM

Ha, I thought you meant the effect CHANGED, and became lower in volume.

Ok, to increase the volume, you'd increase the resistance on the 2nd opamp in the circuit here:  http://www.tonepad.com/getFileInfo.asp?id=84

There is a 25k trimmer between pins 6 & 7 of IC 1...that sets the ration of feedback, and therefore the gain of the circuit.  Tack in a pot (50k -100k? or whatever - layout says it might require up to 100k), set the volume, measure the resistances, and replace with fixed resistors.   Or just get a trim pot and put that in permanently (100k is what I'd use).

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

BDuguay

Quote from: mth5044 on June 12, 2014, 07:48:58 PM
Post the schematic
I knew this would come up :icon_cry:I'm not sure how to do that...
Quote from: GibsonGM on June 13, 2014, 08:04:05 AM
Ha, I thought you meant the effect CHANGED, and became lower in volume.

Ok, to increase the volume, you'd increase the resistance on the 2nd opamp in the circuit here:  http://www.tonepad.com/getFileInfo.asp?id=84

There is a 25k trimmer between pins 6 & 7 of IC 1...that sets the ration of feedback, and therefore the gain of the circuit.  Tack in a pot (50k -100k? or whatever - layout says it might require up to 100k), set the volume, measure the resistances, and replace with fixed resistors.   Or just get a trim pot and put that in permanently (100k is what I'd use).

Thanks for coming to the rescue! Now, just so I know we're on the same page, we all agree that I need to increase the peak brightness of the LED to match bypass volume and to do that I follow your instructions, yes?

GibsonGM

Yes, all you need to do is get the schematic from my post, find the corresponding point in your circuit, and put a trimmer in there.  Be careful not to bust anything while doing this, he he.

I'd like to know what's in there NOW, tho....can you tell?    You must have a fixed voltage divider?   If so, can you tell us the resistor values, and what pins they go to?       There's some reason you don't have a trimmer there, hmmm.

To post a schem or anything from another site you click the "post link" button when you reply....that will add "[] PASTE YOUR LINK HERE [/]" tags to your message.     Paste the URL in between the brackets.   In real life there are no quotes, I added them so you can see the code, and it says URL inside the brackets.  Hope that makes sense, as the code won't display right, since it's code and not text...

Like:  "]www.diystompboxes.com]"

Like:  "www.diystompboxes.com"
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

[url] .... some guff.com .... [/url]

use this :

to quot code.

that was some tricky posting.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

BDuguay

Quote from: duck_arse on June 13, 2014, 01:06:31 PM
[url] .... some guff.com .... [/url]

use this :

to quot code.

that was some tricky posting.
No kidding eh? I'm a wreck...a loose cannon.
I'm going to get it right though, just you wait :icon_surprised:

Mark Hammer

Stick in a 50-100k pot, as GibsonGM suggested.  That will let you turn the depth all the way down to effectiely cancel the tremolo effect, and use the unit as a clean boost with adjustable level.

How's that for value?

BDuguay

Let's try this...[url]http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/tremulus/tremuluslayout.gif/url]
It's this version exactly.
B.

BDuguay

That didn't do exactly what I thought it would. Where's the option for "post link"?
B.

snap

GibsonGM

Yes, you needed to put a "[" after the .gif of the URL.  You were close....

Do you have that trim pot shown on the layout?  It should go between pins 6 & 7 of the opamp, and also connect to the LDR.  That pot adjusts the gain....
  • SUPPORTER

BDuguay

Ooops, it's an earlier version than that one and doesn't have a trimpot.It's this one
This is another schematic.

GibsonGM

It says "trimpot 10k-100k" in the output stage...you sure it's not there, man?  It's INSIDE on the circuit board, it's a small thing, not a big pot on the outside.  You turn it to adjust the gain of that output stage, which is controlling the output volume....

Probably look a little like this:  

**Edit:  I wonder where the "volume" control hooks in?  Probably at the end...so you'd crank the trim up, and use the Vol. pot to control it, I think.  That schem. is probably not the exact one for your unit, I'd say.
  • SUPPORTER