vero and perf and component sizes

Started by duck_arse, June 12, 2014, 11:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thom

I only use perf boards and I always do my own layouts, based on the original PCB layout if there is one or the schematic.
It's actually half the fun, trying to cram as much as possible on the smallest board. It also makes soldering that much more enjoyable, when you know exactly where everything goes.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: IvIark on June 13, 2014, 04:06:45 PM
Yeah 2.54 but i always think of round metric number for components. It's easier to think a box cap has a 5mm pitch than 5.08 :)

Right  :)

But you know Sometimes the same thing would be advertised as .1" and another 2.54mm then someone would freak out trying to find that "elusive" 2.5mm
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Frank_NH

Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on June 13, 2014, 05:51:41 PM
Yeah 2.54 but i always think of round metric number for components. It's easier to think a box cap has a 5mm pitch than 5.08 :)

But you know Sometimes the same thing would be advertised as .1" and another 2.54mm then someone would freak out trying to find that "elusive" 2.5mm

That's why we in the U.S. use "English" units   ;D

Speaking of links...  I really don't like double links!  I'd rather the vero board layout be an extra column or two wider than have to use double links (especially those which hide under the IC socket).  To install them I need to drill a hole at the connect point and stick the two exposed wire ends in and solder.  Just an extra step versus installing single end links...

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Frank_NH on June 13, 2014, 08:17:28 PM
Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on June 13, 2014, 05:51:41 PM

That's why we in the U.S. use "English" units   ;D

Speaking of links...  I really don't like double links!  I'd rather the vero board layout be an extra column or two wider than have to use double links (especially those which hide under the IC socket).  To install them I need to drill a hole at the connect point and stick the two exposed wire ends in and solder.  Just an extra step versus installing single end links...

That's why you use resistor legs they easily go in the holes assuming you do t have to span a long distance
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

IvIark

To install them I need to drill a hole at the connect point and stick the two exposed wire ends in and solder.  Just an extra step versus installing single end links...

You should get some of the links to use like the ones I got, two in the same hole slide straight in so you don't need to force anything. These are the ones I got but I'm sure you could find them at a local supplier

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/0-6mm-Dwl-Wire-Link-Pack-of-1000-62-0472

tommycataus

Quote from: duck_arse on June 12, 2014, 11:50:47 AM
I've got a circuit, nearly ready to do a vero for it. I've got my first perf boards coming via slow boat, something to look forward to (?). so I have some questions about other people's preferences. no prizes given, just my gratitude.

how many people here use other's published layouts only, show of hands? of you, how many won't build a particular layout if it has standing resistors? why?

next, how many here do their own vero/perf (or pcb) layouts as a matter of course? and how many of you WON'T stand resistors (unless it will save the whole layout)? not even to save a layout, or huge space?

and more still: what is your preferred pad spacing for 1/4W resistors, 0.3" or 0.4"? 0.3 has always been to much of a strain on the leg-bend to my mind, 0.4 seems to be where they bend naturally. or do you not care, just jamb them in?

does your spacing preference change from vero to perf? I've only ever done standing resistors, just because of the ease and space savings, but if no-one wants to build them, I might as well try flat laying.

I've tried making my own vero layout based on a schematic and will still do this if a suitable vero layout is not available, but mainly I stick to published layouts. Generally I prefer to have flat lying resistors although I have about 6 or 7 builds that have used vertical - if I really want to build a project and the vero is verified, I'd rather be courteous and use that if someone has put the time and effort for the rest of us, even when the resistors are vertical. It's nice when the resistors are laid out to take up four adjacent holes, as you say they seem to bend like that naturally.

I just really like building. I'm usually so zoned out after work that I struggle to take in the workings of circuitry. I'd really like to be able to understand it all and have spent time learning, but my memory isn't what it used to be and the joy for me is the soldering, putting together, getting an end result and being able to play my guitar through something I made from scratch. Long story short, I'm not selective based on the things you have mentioned.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ

tommycataus

I always use resistor legs as previously advocated. The resistors from Tayda have very thin legs which are absolutely perfect for this.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ

duck_arse

Quote from: thom on June 13, 2014, 05:23:15 PM
I only use perf boards and I always do my own layouts, based on the original PCB layout if there is one or the schematic.
It's actually half the fun, trying to cram as much as possible on the smallest board. It also makes soldering that much more enjoyable, when you know exactly where everything goes.

thom - standing or non-standing? standing is the highest-cramming density you'll get with leaded.

as for links or legs, two in one hole is not allowed. as for links under ic's, they are go! as far as my current rule set. and links under resistors as well. I just can't bear to see all those mt holes (even if I can't see them).

and tommyc, it's nice to see someone with manners.
don't make me draw another line.

greaser_au

I have to admit that I'm just not that fussy   - with how I vero my resistors anyway!!!...    :D  it's all about what works for the layout.

This is a quad limiter based on the NE/SA571 from AN174 (fig 12) with exernal opamps (Fig 13) . This was wierdly broken until I realised Fig12 has an error (the comparator reference resistor pairs need to be swapped).
Note the mix of  laydown/standup/metalfilm/carbonfilm resistors and 85/105 degree electros.  the 100nf mono decoupling caps are under the IC sockets.  The astute viewer will be able to pick the limiter that feeds the 100W amp, the 2 that feed the ETI480 50W amps, and the one that is as yet unutilised  :) https://www.flickr.com/photos/14643956@N06/8407561655/

david

thom

Quote from: duck_arse on June 14, 2014, 10:42:19 AM
Quote from: thom on June 13, 2014, 05:23:15 PM

thom - standing or non-standing? standing is the highest-cramming density you'll get with leaded.

as for links or legs, two in one hole is not allowed. as for links under ic's, they are go! as far as my current rule set. and links under resistors as well. I just can't bear to see all those mt holes (even if I can't see them).

and tommyc, it's nice to see someone with manners.

I try to avoid standing resistors as I like to check continuity as I go along and that makes it more difficult. Same with debugging.
Links under ICs, resistors, diodes and larger capacitors are a must as far as I'm concerned.

Nothing like the smell of solder in the morning  :) *cough*cough*

aron

I have always used standing components on perfboard. Never had a problem for me. I could see how some people don't like them.

Jdansti

I use vero, perf and PCB depending on what I'm building and whether there's an existing layout for it. I haven't had any problems with standing resistors, but I try to avoid them. If I have two standing resistors next to each other, I reverse the direction of the longer lead on one of them so I don't have two long leads right next to each other that could short.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

bluebunny

Quote from: Jdansti on June 14, 2014, 07:08:56 PM
I use vero, perf and PCB depending on what I'm building and whether there's an existing layout for it. I haven't had any problems with standing resistors, but I try to avoid them. If I have two standing resistors next to each other, I reverse the direction of the longer lead on one of them so I don't have two long leads right next to each other that could short.

Uncanny.   :icon_eek:   I would have written the very same thing - even down to the punctuation.  Given my south-east London/western France hybrid mutt blood, I don't think we can be related...  Can we??    ???
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Focalized

I think it's kind of silly using one of those resistor benders. I mean, you just bend it with your fingers. Seems like a step with no real time reduction.

With most PCBs the resistors are simply bent all the same.

And I've never had trouble approximating an odd width over 3-4 holes. Also with jumpers, just lay a piece over the space and bend it.

Forgive my ballbusting if I'm missing a point.

duck_arse

If I have two standing resistors next to each other, I reverse the direction of the longer lead on one of them so I don't have two long leads right next to each other that could short.

ah-HAH! I do exactly the opposite. I try and have the long lead to supply - V+, 0V, V/2, and then two next can happily short, if they must.

otherwise, I do similar, without the punctuation.
don't make me draw another line.

Jdansti

Quote from: bluebunny on June 15, 2014, 10:03:38 AM

Uncanny.   :icon_eek:   I would have written the very same thing - even down to the punctuation.  Given my south-east London/western France hybrid mutt blood, I don't think we can be related...  Can we??    ???

I think my Cajun Babineaux ancestors can be traced back to western France, so that must be it, bro. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...