Using a Toggle switch instead of a footstomp switch

Started by acehobojoe, June 12, 2014, 10:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acehobojoe

Has anyone done this? I was thinking it would be a cool idea for some applications. I wonder if there is a switch that has trues bypass.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: acehobojoe on June 12, 2014, 10:59:43 PM
Has anyone done this? I was thinking it would be a cool idea for some applications. I wonder if there is a switch that has trues bypass.

Use a dpdt toggle or 3pdt toggle wire it the same way as a stomp switch.

Switches arent inherently true bypass or not it's all about how you wire it
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

PRR

Then it would not be a "stomp box", right? (Unless your toes are very clever.)

What Nick said. The electric part of the switch and the user-interface are really two different things. The user-side can be a lever, a rocker, a button, a rotary knob, a rotary key, two buttons (old lamp switches, some power saws), an electromagnet (relay), or Frankenstein-type big black handle (knife switch).

-- 3P2T!! 6.3"x5.4"x2.8" (L*W*H), $26

$1.50

You can't always find the electric-switch part you need with the user-side you want. But 3P2T (or 4P2T) toggles are very standard parts.

And worst comes to worse, you find a 3P2T relay to do your switching and work the relay with a 1P1T Franken-switch.
  • SUPPORTER

MaxPower

I use toggle switches all of the time simply because I'm a cheap bastard and not a gigging musician.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

Lurco

Togglers are cute, because most of the time you can omit one pole, since the swiitch lever itself gives optical indication for on/off.

acehobojoe

Well, the main reason I am doing it is because I want to make some stompboxes that are keyboardist friendly, and I'm sure other people would enjoy a pedal that could be switched on with their fingers. I'll just look for a 3pdt one. I think mammoth has one.

Of course, the 380v one would make a funny pedal! Haha.
I'll send some pics of my results.

Oh.. And this is off topic, but does anyone know of some non Hammond 1590 enclosures to use? I was wondering if I could find one that kind of had a slight slant on it.

amptramp

Quote from: acehobojoe on June 13, 2014, 08:33:21 AM
Oh.. And this is off topic, but does anyone know of some non Hammond 1590 enclosures to use? I was wondering if I could find one that kind of had a slight slant on it.

Some people have filed or sanded a standard rectangular box with a bit of an angle, which is OK for angle up to maybe 5 degrees.  More than that and you are getting into the sheet metal boxes which are too flimsy for a stomp switch.

R.G.

Well, the main reason I am doing it is because I want to make some stompboxes that are keyboardist friendly, and I'm sure other people would enjoy a pedal that could be switched on with their fingers.
More finger-friendly than a toggle would be a keyboardist-friendly one - a momentary key switch controlling either a latching relay circuit or an electronic switch (see such at geofex.com). Fingers used to pressing keys would do better pressing a special key than flipping a toggle.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

pappasmurfsharem

Well, the main reason I am doing it is because I want to make some stompboxes that are keyboardist friendly, and I'm sure other people would enjoy a pedal that could be switched on with their fingers. I'll just look for a 3pdt one. I think mammoth has one.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/mini-toggle-switch-3pdt-on-on.html

But as someone above mentioned, Since the Switch will tell you the ON/OFF position you can just use a DPDT and save some greenbacks
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

J0K3RX

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

acehobojoe

Quote from: J0K3RX on June 14, 2014, 01:32:26 AM
don't keyboard players have feet?

You'd be surprised...

Are you talking about a midi setup R.G.?

karbomusic

Like this?

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=708

I have a handful of these that I got from small bear.

Oh and the tadya link above as well.

teemuk

QuoteMore finger-friendly than a toggle would be a keyboardist-friendly one - a momentary key switch controlling either a latching relay circuit or an electronic switch (see such at geofex.com)

This.

Not to mention, scheme where you have a switch controlled by another switch is much easier to expand to cover all kinds of switching and indicator light arrangements .

QuoteAre you talking about a midi setup R.G.?

He is probably referring to using switching elements like relays, LDR's or semiconductor switches (e.g. FETs, IC switches, etc.) and then controlling those switches with another switching arrangement catering to user's preference.

And as said, scheme where switch is controlled by another switch is much more easier to expand to cover implementations like remote switching, MIDI-controlled switching, combinations of the aforementioned and such. A mechanical, manual switch will be pretty much limited to being just that. You always have to manually turn that specific switch on or off.

R.G.

I once did a guitar switching setup suitable for mounting on the guitar below and behind the bridge for a guitarist that did not have use of his legs and feet.
Quote from: acehobojoe on June 14, 2014, 08:19:11 AM
Are you talking about a midi setup R.G.?
No. I'm talking about using a finger-friendly momentary switch backed up by some electronics to make that momentary be latcing, and then electronic switching of some kind - I tend to the 4053 and/or relays - to do the actual signal routing. This amounts to splitting the constraints on the switch so that the mechanical switch does not also have to do the memory (... er, what state am I in now? Bypass?) and actual signal path changing, as well as being friendly to the human part that's moving things around. Normal mechanical switches do all three, and  that used to be the only way to get things done, as the electronics to do the memory and signal routing was expensive or non-existent. Today, the electronics is both cheaper than complex mechanical setups as well as being massively more flexible.

Then you could do MIDI or something else on top of this if you like. But no, not MIDI in this suggestion anyway. Teemuk got it right.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.