The 1M Resistor to Ground Trick

Started by soupbone, June 15, 2014, 05:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

I've read 2 different ways of how you can stop "pop's" from an effect pedal.I'm seeing which way would be the best; #1.1M resistor from the input jack "tip" to the "ring" of the 1/4 jack.#2. 1M resistor from the input of the stompbox switch,to the ground lug on the switch.What ya'll think?

Liquitone

It's the input cap needing the pulldown, so between fx-input and ground. Unless I'm overlooking something, the 1M on the jacks wouldn't help and would half their resistance (parallel) if you would put another pedal or amp with 1M on the jacks after it, when in bypass.

soupbone

Quote from: Liquitone on June 15, 2014, 05:43:27 AM
It's the input cap needing the pulldown, so between fx-input and ground. Unless I'm overlooking something, the 1M on the jacks wouldn't help and would half their resistance (parallel) if you would put another pedal or amp with 1M on the jacks after it, when in bypass.
Cool!So,you would solder one end of the resistor to one leg of the input cap on the board?and then solder the other end to ground?or am I way off?lol

Liquitone

Any way that works. I usually do it on the circuit-board where there's usually have a ground close to the input. you could also do it on the footswitch input to a ground of the switch that you also use for the led ground, but then it gets more cluttered.

bool

Ideally it should be located on the effect pc-board, but you could also hack it somewhere in the switching system you use. It should only be switched "in-circuit" when the effect is active, otherwise it would load down your signal and this wouldn't be remotely "true bypass" anymore.

Things like that get cumulative if you don't do it properly.

armdnrdy

It is amazing with all of the resources available (Geofex, AMZ, etc.) and how many words that have been written about this, that connecting "anti pop" pull down resistors on the switch or jack is listed as an alternative way to accomplish this.

The pull downs go on the board at the input and output of the circuit.

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/box_pop.htm

http://www.muzique.com/news/pulldown-resistors/
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

bool

And what do you do when you're boxing a fx that dosent have the pulldowns on the pcboard?

There's a difference between "ideal" and "practical" execution. Mounting the auxiliary components offboard is of course less than ideal so there are certain scenarios to be mindful of. This is not rocket science..

PRR

> What ya'll think?

I think pulldowns are just Good Hygene.

I think the two alternatives in your first post are electrically "equivalent" (follow the wires).

I think if you have a somewhat hackable pedal, and a hot iron, you can TRY IT faster than you can take a survey.

If the PCB lacks a provision (and isn't precious collectable), hack it. You can tack a resistor on the copper-side. You can drill small holes next to traces, insert resistor, bend leads onto traces, and solder.
  • SUPPORTER

soupbone