Anyone build a PV-1 pitch to voltage convertor?

Started by lulu_joe13, June 17, 2014, 12:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lulu_joe13

Hello there. I am wanting to build a PV-1 from info I have found on the web. I am going to etch my first pcb(woohoo!). But, before I buy the components I am wondering whether anyone has made it work? Thanks Joe.

armdnrdy

I'm a bit curious....what are you going to do with a pitch to voltage converter?
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

lulu_joe13

I don't know. I have a Theremin and a bunch of little oscillators I control with photo-resistors. In some case perhaps I can use it to dramatically(with gestures) control my oscillator outputs instead of just light for for some feedback filtering. Maybe I'll build a little synth later on that will take a control voltage.

lulu_joe13

Also, I'm too cheap to sell my Big Briar Etherwave to get a Moog with a built in PV-1??!!??!!

Mark Hammer

Harry Bissell (the person who designed the PV-1) has noted here that, in retrospect, there are a number of weaknesses with the design.  I can't recall what they were, but it was enough to make me stop after I etched and stuffed a board for it, though I may get back to it.

I have no idea how it compares to other DIY P-2-V designs, like this one:  www.synthfool.com/docs/Other_Misc/GuitarP2V.PDF  I've made one of these, but still have to wire it up and box it.