Superfuzz gating issue; how to remove it?

Started by nate77, June 17, 2014, 02:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nate77

I built a superfuzz on vero and I love it, but it's gating is a bit frustrating. This is the layout I used. I haven't been able to find the schematic it was drawn from. http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/01/univox-super-fuzz.html?m=1
I'm sure this is a very silly  and basic question but I'm just not sure how to pull this off. This is a 6 trannie circuit and I've got 10 2n2222's on hand. I've measured the hFe on them all and am gonna try matching them as close as possible an see if this helps. Any help is much appreciated as always.

LucifersTrip

you have voltages from an original (solidhex) posted a bunch of times here, so you see what voltages you should get. you'll generally get lower C voltages with higher gain.

C B E
Q1 6.01 .66 .117
Q2 8.88 6.01 5.41
Q3 6.23 3.27 2.72
Q4 3.1 1.7 1.11
Q5 3.1 1.67 1.11
Q6 5.75 .98 .361
always think outside the box

kaycee

Strongest candidates on a vero this dense is a solder bridge, missed track cut/link, misplaced component. Next I'd go through it with a signal tester, it's easy enough to follow from the schematic. Where the signal is split and taken from the collector and emitter going into the differential pair you get less output on the emitter trail.

I had one gating a while back and oddly what cured it was lowering the gain of the diff pair, swapping out BC548 to 2n3904,. Also if you used Ge diodes, swap them for Si, 914, 4148 etc.

R.G.

"Gating" is another word for "something is biased too close to the edge of its amplification range".

Read and follow the sticky "Debugging: what to do when it doesn't work". It will be much faster and simpler to get running that way.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

nate77

I'm as sure as I can be that there are no safer bridges or missed traces anywhere in this. The vero is not small but I have gone over this ad nauseum due to a couple other issues I had when first building it. It works very well, of course with the exception of light gating. I do have ge diodes in there as that's what was called for and although I'm not a huge fuzz lover, I really dig this circuit. I'll take a look at the sticky and follow the steps there. With 6 trannies it really seams to be related to how they play together. Thanks everyone for the help. And R.G., you always come in with the advice and direction, but not a step by step to-do list and I appreciate that. After I work through whatever problems I have, I'm better for it. Thanks guys