Comparison footswithes - where to get a good one

Started by Howard, June 18, 2014, 01:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard

Hi. I have made an comparison between two footswitches, one from Tayna and one of unknown origin. Would appreciate your comments. BTW Tayna has offered a full refund. Howard
http://youtu.be/GsrVeP07hu0

Ice-9

I'm not sure why you would need to replace a 3PDT with a 4PDT switch, but for higher quality switches I would check out Cliff or Alpha before looking at the cheap China Blue/green/black/white switches. Also adding an extra pole will most likely add extra mechanical noise as there are more contacts to switch over.

Nice video and test
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Howard

Thanks Ice. The reason for using the 4PDT is explained here http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=107402.0
Passive a/b switch "pop"
The mec noise is both due to heavy friction in the shaft, and the switching itself. When you compare them in your hands, they appear to be miles apart quality-wise. Ill check out ypur suggestions. H

armdnrdy

I have to agree with Mick.

This is like comparing apples and oranges. You need to compare a 4PDT with another 4PDT to be able to gauge the quality of the Tayda switch.

I watched the video and I'm not too convinced that the sound of the mechanical switch is transferred to the signal path.  

I just finished a build using a 3PDT footswitch that sounds noisy when switched but it is absolutely quiet when plugged in.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Howard

Thanks, I do not think the mechanical noise transferes electrically. The popping as discussed in the linked thread I think also explains this. Unfortunately I do not have a different brand 4PDT to compare, so you may well be right in that it could be unfair to compare it with the 3PDT. However, there is also heavy friction in the neck/shaft of the sw. I find the shafts collar to be (to)  tight and has a sharp edge that causes this fritction. If the sw actually had worked and stayed in one piece, I guess I would have setteled with this.