Making a simple mute switch. A light switch should work, right?

Started by essunset, June 19, 2014, 01:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

essunset

If I'm not mistaken a standard light switch is just a latching SPST switch. It should be as simple as wiring the positive terminal from the input jack to the other positive terminal on the other 1/4" jack, then with the negative wires, wire them to the terminals on the light switch, and of course the ground has a socket on the light switch as well.

Now this should all work out in theory, I guess everything works out in theory. But is it really that simple or am I missing anything?

I want to do this because I don't want to move the tuner to the end of my pedal board, and I have a delay pedal with alot of repeats so if I hit a bad note, or something devastating happens I can simply flick the light switch with my foot and my guitar is OVER.

Anyways this is my first build and I'm starting small.
Thanks in advance!!

PRR

Yes, this will work.

Possible problem: light switches are alloyed for BIG current. The contacts tarnish (insulating oxide), but the surges burn-off the tarnish. When used on small current, the tarnish never gets zapped away. Eventually the switch never "closes" (conducts the small current). It acts "OFF". In your case, shorting-out a signal, "off" means some or all the signal gets through.

When I used 6 Amp heavy-duty toggles for ~~0.020 Amp network signals, about every 3 years I'd get a call that the network was "down", and replacing the switch cured it.

It is possible that light switches also have a self-wiping action, so a few snap-snaps might burnish off enough tarnish to "fix" it. For a while.

And yes you can get light switches for $0.19, a lot less than most alternatives.

But do you need these hassles while you are trying to entertain a Paying Crowd?

Other factor: guitar-level signals are weak. A large switch without shielding can pick-up a lot of buzz and crap from thin air (actually from all the 120V wires in the room). You'll want a metal box without much opening, and a metal switch-plate.
  • SUPPORTER

essunset

Yaaay! It worked!!  :D

I haven't got a soldering gun (yet). So for now the wires are just looped around the screws in the light switch. Which brings up another problem I had in the build phase. After I mounted the light switch its self into the case, I didn't have enough room to fit a screw driver into the screws to secure down the wires. So as for now they are just looped around as well.

Now lets say I wanted to wire an LED into the circuit so that when the circuit is off the LED is illuminated, or the other way around for that matter. How would I do that? Without using a DPST switch.
Sorry for the massive Image btw

PRR

> didn't have enough room to fit a screw driver into the screws to secure down the wires.

Same as in house-wiring. Screw the wires *then* put the switch in the box.

> wire an LED ...Without using a DPST switch.

Some things just need multiple pole switches (or OVER-complicated solutions).

Home Depot and others have wall-type double-pole switches. They will probably be Heavy Duty and more like $12 than 19 cents. Compact stage-worthy switches can be ordered on-line from many many vendors.

I hope you don't play in public with those joints. They are bound to loosen-up.

You made some investment in your playing (instrument, studying, picks and strings). Invest in your electrical needs too.
  • SUPPORTER

essunset

QuoteI hope you don't play in public with those joints. They are bound to loosen-up.

I play with this rig twice a week every week. Ahahahahaha!!

Buzz

Quote from: essunset on June 23, 2014, 11:58:44 PM
QuoteI hope you don't play in public with those joints. They are bound to loosen-up.

I play with this rig twice a week every week. Ahahahahaha!!

Lady luck smiles upon you. For now.

Unfortunately Murphies law is still in action. It'll probably crap out when you're doing something cool. In front of a chick you're trying to impress.
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!