CNC Milling Thread - Tips tricks

Started by Mustachio, June 21, 2014, 06:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeMonk

Just a little note/tip...
Back in the day when I ran a wave solder machine at one company, after soldering, I would cut off the leads on a cutting table.
It was basically a 1/2 hp electric motor mounted similarly to what you are using (X/Y axis movement). I bit more heavy duty though.
With a frame that had a notch cut into it to keep the PCB in place.
I used a vacuum to hold the PCB's down.
Now, these PCB's were around 12"x12" so when mounted and the vacuum was applied, the board would flex down.
I got around this by putting these little cones (Think like miniature traffic cones) on the table under to board. These cones also had thin double-sided tape on the bottom to keep them in place.
Gotta be careful with those cones though. All it takes is a little lead getting under the cones to @#$% things up.

Mustachio

@Mac I used a 30 degree 0.2mm tip carbide V bit on that one.  I've only done that one engraving on the mild weldable sheet steel so far, and the bit seemed to hold up pretty good for a 50 cent bit. I think if I make the passes more shallow and feed rate a little slower it will be good and should be able to engrave a couple full sheets at least per bit. Will have to test more and see how it works out.

@CodeMonk Wow that sounds pretty cool, although I'm having problems picturing it. So this wasn't a vacuum table ?  Maybe a vacuum clamp ? Still sounds like some pretty cool equipment.

Currently I'm using double sided carpet tape on a separate melamine board so I don't cut into my table surface. It's working out pretty good, I'm using a wooden rolling pin to help flatten and secure it down to the tape before I start auto level probing.

Sorry I'm a little late replying , Had really strong winds here yesterday, Toppled over a rather large pine tree in my yard which ripped the power and cable lines off the side of my house. Had a pretty cold night , Running extension cables from next door now to run a space heater and my computer for now until I can get the weather head repaired and power back on :(

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all.
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

CodeMonk

Picture this blade on a router:

Mounted on this:

With an adjustable fixture that held the PCB above the table.
The fixture/frame had grooves in it (notches was the wrong word for this) that the PCB would drop into to keep the PCB from moving around.
Frame sides A, B, C, D;
A and B were fixed while you could adjust C and D to allow for different sized boards. C and D were usually made up of several pieces to make those sides the proper size for a PCB. Imagine them as just shims.
There was a hole in side A that you would attach a vacuum to.
That's what held the board down.

I tried to find a picture of something at least similar to what I used, but not all pictures of industrial machinery from the 80's is online :(

Mustachio

Ah I think I get it now! Nice! Sorta like a fancy router jig. I never really thought about how they cut leads on a large scale that's pretty handy!

I can understand how that flexed the board with the vacuum, I've been looking at building something similar to an air hockey table with larger holes that sucks instead of blows.

"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

rousejeremy

This stuff looks great. I recently found a co-op lab close to my work that has a cnc router amongst other things. Looks like there's a massive learning curve, but the end results are worth it. Especially after watching Youtube videos of guitar bodies being made.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com