Knobs with numbers wrote on the sides?

Started by steveyraff, June 23, 2014, 05:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

Hey guys,

This was just an idea I had for a pedal I'm working on. I am building a sort of modified Super Hard On - I was doing to mount the single pot on the top side of the enclosure. I've seen this done on many builds. The only problem being, you are looking at the knob side-on. I was thinking it would be cool if there was a knob available out there that had numbers wrote on the side. It would be ideal for this use as you could clearly see looking down at it, what setting you are currently at.

Does anyone know of such a knob and where I could get some if they exist?

Cheers,
Stevey.

P.S Yes, I know I can write them on myself - just would be really nice to have them properly printed on.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

steveyraff

Quote from: seadi123 on June 23, 2014, 05:29:10 PM
These are the only number-featured knobs i know about http://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/knobs-38/aluminum-knob-3052.html

Yea - and at that perspective, the numbers would be upside down.  :-\

Theres a few that would kinda work - guitar styled knobs. It'd be great if there was a straight sided knob with the numbering right there on the sides though - like a numbered Davies 1900h.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

Jdansti

Quote from: steveyraff on June 23, 2014, 05:34:11 PM
Quote from: seadi123 on June 23, 2014, 05:29:10 PM
These are the only number-featured knobs i know about http://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/knobs-38/aluminum-knob-3052.html

Yea - and at that perspective, the numbers would be upside down.  :-\

Theres a few that would kinda work - guitar styled knobs. It'd be great if there was a straight sided knob with the numbering right there on the sides though - like a numbered Davies 1900h.

It depends on where you place your reference mark. Most people place it at the 12:00 position.  The numbers will be right side up if you do this. The only caveat about the knobs seadi referenced is that when I bought them, one out of four had a flaw where the numbers are. Buy twice as many as you think you'll need if you use them.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Focalized

If you used plastic guitar knobs like mentioned, remember they're probably push on.

Clips

Although it seems like you've found your answer, I feel you could also get what you want with a couple of davies-esque knobs (some without the indentions preferably), the circumference of said knobs, and a little bit of water-slide decal shenanigans. I'm thinking you could print the numbers in a row on a decal strip cut to the knob's circumference, and apply the strip while carefully tuning the knob.

steveyraff

Yep, guess I'll just have to settle for guitar knobs. The numbering isn't exactly straight on the sides, they're kinda sloped inwards - but it'll do I guess.

As for applying decals, I have enough bother applying decal to my pedal - putting it on the little knob seems like a nightmare. lol
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

mth5044

Just get a label maker and stick them to the sides of a large knob. As Clips said, Davies likely has a couple that would fit the bill.

bluebunny

Quote from: steveyraff on June 24, 2014, 05:10:37 PM
As for applying decals, I have enough bother applying decal to my pedal

How about using a knob like this:

and using self-adhesive number
stickers in each side panel, with
a bit of clear coat on top?  I used
a single "1" on my recent OKF:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...