Idea For A Prototype Chassis

Started by smallbearelec, June 23, 2014, 10:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

Every so often someone asks for an inexpensive, gig-worthy prototype chassis "like a Beavis Board, but less expensive". What about this:

The center block is two Wish WBU-301

http://www.wishmaker.com.tw/cubecat/front/bin/ptlist.phtml?Category=63

or similar, with three of the four power busses removed. This makes the block size almost ideal for an E-H 1790NS enclosure. I do already carry the box, will have the blocks shortly.

Where I think it gets interesting is that you cobble a bracket to fit pots and another one for the stomp switch. This way there are no cables to off-board stuff mounted on the lid. Jacks on the side walls. Bore holes in the lid to pass shafts...Done, I think.

If this makes sense, I might even get the brackets made and offer a kit. Comments and ideazz encouraged.

SD

pappasmurfsharem

What is the purpose of the shelf piece?
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

smallbearelec

Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on June 23, 2014, 11:28:51 PM
What is the purpose of the shelf piece?

What you called the "shelf piece", I called the "bracket". As I see it, if you mount stomper and pots on the lid, you have to run wires to the block. So drill the brackets for the pots and switch, mount all in the box and drill holes in the lid to let the shafts poke through. I did not do all the tooling yet because I wanted to run the idea past the residents first.

CodeMonk

I take it the breadboard is easily removed?
I'm thinking from an ease of access point here.

I know I've breadboarded stuff that was noisy until I stuck it in a metal box.

smallbearelec

Quote from: CodeMonk on June 24, 2014, 03:46:51 AM
I take it the breadboard is easily removed? I'm thinking from an ease of access point here.

I figured on holding the breadboard in place with its self-stick pad. Would that be a deal-breaker?

CodeMonk

Depends on the depth of the enclosure I guess.
But that board looks large enough so that may not be an issue for some (unless you are trying to build something like an ADA Flanger in there).

If it was something I was going to be using and changing a lot, I would probably also put a hinged lid on it. But that's just me.
Some of my ideas are a bit "unconventional" though.
Something that will open well past 90 degrees.

allesz

Really nice idea!

For testing purpose I use a couple of old boxes for example; after years of use one of them looks like gruviera cheese ::).

With clever placement of pots, controls and jacks, and a detachable stomp switch you will be able to take it to rehearsals to get a real road test, and real time tweaks too. Your band mates will "adore" you  8).

Be sure to put in the kit a nice set of jumpers: they will love you.

samhay

Nice idea.
If you mounted the jacks on the back and pots/switches on the sides, then you would only need the footswitch and possibly an LED mounted to the bracket/shelf.
With a bit of permanent circuit board with power filtering and terminals connected to the jacks, power, pots etc, it could get even more user-friendly.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

MrStab

even if not used in a gigging environment, it'd still be useful for all the unboxed-breadboard-humming issues, whilst saving cash and solder in the process. nice!

i've never used a breadboard, because i'm a bit of an idiot, but in this regard i compare it to IC/transistor sockets: i'd be apprehensive about having all the components facing downwards in case something is knocked out after trauma. so my only suggestion is that the components be placed facing up as standard expectation.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

armdnrdy

Quote from: MrStab on June 24, 2014, 09:11:59 AM
i'd be apprehensive about having all the components facing downwards in case something is knocked out after trauma. so my only suggestion is that the components be placed facing up as standard expectation.

My thoughts exactly.

Some component leads make for a snug fit....others do not. Especially some of the thinner diameter resistor leads that many of us use.

Another issue with moving something like this off of your bench and into an uncontrolled environment....
component leads shorting out against each other.

On the bench we can keep things separated. On the floor with guitar cords, feet, gravity...not so much.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

samhay

^my only suggestion is that the components be placed facing up as standard expectation.

That's how I see Steve's design working. The lid faces up with a hole cut in it for the foot switch actuator to poke through.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

deadastronaut

6 pots 2-3 switches?.

i'd need a massive box, i use 3 large breadboards and still don't have room.. ::)

ideal for fuzz heads i guess.. :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

R.G.

Quote from: smallbearelec on June 24, 2014, 05:20:20 AM
I figured on holding the breadboard in place with its self-stick pad. Would that be a deal-breaker?

. . .  velcro!
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

smallbearelec

Quote from: R.G. on June 24, 2014, 12:24:09 PM
. . .  velcro!

That would work, thanks! Clearly, my thinking was good, so I'll work on a How-To article for beginners and find a shop to make the brackets.

SD

boogietone

Quote from: R.G. on June 24, 2014, 12:24:09 PM

. . .  velcro!

'bout to say the same thing.

Great idea.
An oxymoron - clean transistor boost.

smallbearelec

Here is the bracket for the Idea Box:

https://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/IdeaBoxAndBoard/fivepotbracketwslots.PDF

I got a local guy to do the DXF file from my (very crude) prototype, then found that U.S. machine shops either didn't want a small manufacturing job or could not do it economically. I did what you'd expect and e-mailed the design to one of the Chinese suppliers, and I'll have pieces to sell in less than a month. Price $2.25 each, which I figure should make them attractive compared to hand-tooling.

Whilst looking at my pre-production samples, I had another ins-bear-ation...an Idea Board:

While I did not plan it so from the git-go, it turns out that the holes for the pots are spaced such that the bracket will accommodate jacks as shown. Just ream out a little depending on what you want where. I have in stock all of the other bits needed and will get some Lucite cut to size. I know that tricked-out breadboards are readily available elsewhere, but they tend to be expensive and not necessarily easy to configure to individual needs. This is inexpensive and geared for FX work...Add a regulated wall wart or Small Wart and get down-and-dirty. How-To article to follow soon.

Regards
SD

thelonious

That looks great, Steve. I think you're definitely on to something here.

mth5044

YouAre

Quote from: smallbearelec on August 23, 2014, 09:34:30 PM
Here is the bracket for the Idea Box:

https://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/IdeaBoxAndBoard/fivepotbracketwslots.PDF

I got a local guy to do the DXF file from my (very crude) prototype, then found that U.S. machine shops either didn't want a small manufacturing job or could not do it economically. I did what you'd expect and e-mailed the design to one of the Chinese suppliers, and I'll have pieces to sell in less than a month. Price $2.25 each, which I figure should make them attractive compared to hand-tooling.

Whilst looking at my pre-production samples, I had another ins-bear-ation...an Idea Board:

While I did not plan it so from the git-go, it turns out that the holes for the pots are spaced such that the bracket will accommodate jacks as shown. Just ream out a little depending on what you want where. I have in stock all of the other bits needed and will get some Lucite cut to size. I know that tricked-out breadboards are readily available elsewhere, but they tend to be expensive and not necessarily easy to configure to individual needs. This is inexpensive and geared for FX work...Add a regulated wall wart or Small Wart and get down-and-dirty. How-To article to follow soon.

Regards
SD

Steve,

I have the part number saved for spade terminals that fit perfectly on alpha pots. You could crimp them to jumper wires, so that we can avoid soldering wire to the pots. You'd have to raise the bracket a little to provide some clearance, but I think it would be a great addition.

Also, I think it would be great if you had U shaped opening for the pots so they can slide in without removing the nut and only loosening it, similar to how we do with Wah pots in their enclosure.

Please pester me as much as possible to remind me to send you the datasheet.

Regards,
Murad

smallbearelec

Quote from: YouAre on August 27, 2014, 10:16:07 AM
I have the part number saved for spade terminals that fit perfectly on alpha pots.
Also, I think it would be great if you had U shaped opening for the pots so they can slide in without removing the nut and only loosening it, similar to how we do with Wah pots in their enclosure.
remind me to send you the datasheet.
Please drop a message with the p/n to the smallbearelec address.

Quote from: YouAre on August 27, 2014, 10:16:07 AM
it would be great if you had U shaped opening for the pots so they can slide in without removing the nut and only loosening it
Interesting idea! If someone wants to create that by hacking out a slot (Dremel cutoff wheel or nibbling tool would do), go for it! I'm going to get these made as shown so that users can have the choice. Unfortunately, the courier company mis-directed the package with my final sample...grrrr! So I can't give approval until probably after Labor Day.