Idea For A Prototype Chassis

Started by smallbearelec, June 23, 2014, 10:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upspoon12

tommycataus

Fantastic idea Steve! I could definitely use this. Might I suggest using sticky backed Velcro for the breadboard? I use it myself for a bunch of stuff and it is so versatile. A good alternative if you don't want a permanent fixture, or if it would be easier to work on the breadboard outside the enclosure.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ

smallbearelec

Quote from: tommycataus on August 29, 2014, 05:48:43 PM
Might I suggest using sticky backed Velcro for the breadboard?

That's what I did and will note in the How-to article. Also, in keeping with my policy of "If I use it, I sell it", I found a wholesale source for Velcro and now stock 1" and 2" wide strip, SKU 0307P. If there are other Velcro items that I should carry, please drop a message to the smallbearelec address.

Regards
SD

tommycataus

"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ

smallbearelec

I got my final samples of the bracket and gave OK to make, so expect to be able to go to market before month-end. Here is an Idea Box pretty much ready-to-wire:

Breadboard is secured with Velcro as R. G. suggested. I hacked the bracket for the switch; may have that made, too, if enough customers want it. Question re supporting an in-use LED:

I recall seeing a kind of mount that will sit on a side panel with the LED pointing up. But I don't know who makes them and can't find in my catalogs. Anyone recognize what I'm describing?

bloxstompboxes

Looks good. I may have to get one of these rather than make my own.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

smallbearelec

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on September 06, 2014, 05:41:48 PM
Looks good. I may have to get one of these rather than make my own.

The idea is precisely that you Do make your own; all but one of the pieces are off-the-shelf, and the one that isn't, the bracket, will be available from stock soon. Yeah, I may offer a kit of parts at a small discount. I do Not expect to offer assembled units; this is partly because local wage rates make it difficult to manufacture Anything that is not super high-end, and partly because I don't want to try to anticipate the variety of mods and tweeks that the audience will want. I have already written the article on how to assemble and will publish as soon as I have the brackets and can take orders.

Processaurus

Great idea, Steve!

One small thing one could do with the bracket in the 1790BB, to make it so you don't have to unscrew the bracket to change the pots, but want to keep it from being loose in the box, would be to, instead of screwing the bracket to the box, have it loose, but put a screw through each side of the 1790BB just south of the bracket, which would keep it from sliding down toward the switch.  Maybe a little foam tape bumper on top to keep it snug when the lid is on.  That way it just lifts straight out to change the pots.

smallbearelec

Quote from: Processaurus on September 07, 2014, 04:35:37 PM
instead of screwing the bracket to the box, have it loose, but put a screw through each side of the 1790BB just south of the bracket, which would keep it from sliding down toward the switch.

Thanks for the feedback, and the suggestion! There will be Many individual mods and tweeks to this thing, and I will include at least some in the How-To article. I came up with workable solutions to a few issues myself:

--LED mounting without more penetrations of the cover. Hack up a 5mm bezel so that more of the side of an LED can be seen.

--A bracket for the switch. I cobbled what is shown here, but I will get it made ASAP.

Also, the new long-bushing Alpha 3PDT is really better here than the regular part...gives more thread outside the case.

Regards
SD

~arph

good idea, but it requires you to breadboard with a low profile.. eg. clipping resistor and cap leads. using short wires.. My breadboarded circuits usually have quiet some height to them. If I were to push the lid on them it'll stop working. Also we need a Hammond D version.  ;D  not enough space for me.

Processaurus

Would it be doable for the LED go in the stompswitch bracket?

smallbearelec

Quote from: Processaurus on September 09, 2014, 03:13:20 PM
Would it be doable for the LED go in the stompswitch bracket?

Tight, but doable, yes.

smallbearelec

SKU 2700G.

Here is a built-out box with slots cut for the pots.

The switch bracket will be available before Thanksgiving, and it can easily be added later. While I expect that likely builders will already understand how to put these together and wire, I have posted a How-To article:

https://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/IdeaBoxAndBoard/IdeaBox.htm

Someone suggested hole-plugs for unused positions, and those will be in stock soon.

Regards
SD