Speaker simulator guitar pedal

Started by JPGraphX, June 24, 2014, 06:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGraphX

Hi everyone,

I want to build a guitar pedal that is going to simulate an amp. When I practice with my band, we all play in-ear. My friends have line6 so they have phones ouput on their amp. I don't have this option on my amp, so I'm playing directly out from my pedalboard. This sound very bad. I would like to know my options.

So I would like to have some information about your own experiences.

I have seen some pedal on market like Rock Bug from Carl Martin. What would you recommend and I need layout/schematic.

Thanks so much!
JP

mth5044

Your title says Speaker Sim, but your post seems to be refering to an entire amp simulator. ROG has a speaker sim called Condor Cab Sim. There are also a bunch if you use the search function.

If you want to shape the tone a certain way, I'd suggest the ROG tonemender into the condor cab sim assuming you want a clean signal and are supplying the dirt. If you want dirt as well, there are literally hundreds of 'amp in a box' pedals you can use. The search function will get you most, if not all of them.

peterg

If you are looking for a speaker sim try Tonepad'speaker sim

JPGraphX

I need something to make my pedal board sound good with in-ear.

JPGraphX

In other words, I need to simulate the sound that would come out of my speaker am (with my pedalboard).

So I'd like to have a pedal, last one in my chain, that is going to send a kind of ?amplified? sound.

JP

Mark Hammer

My experience is that what you get may depend a lot on the specific headphones/earphones, since they tend to impose their own "EQ curve".    My advice would be to first find a set that everybody in the band likes, and then pick a simulator circuit that  complements that particular model of phones.

JPGraphX

For now, we all use the Jam Hub. So we all plug into this.

My friends got headphones out on their amp and it is also working great with mics.

But when I only plug my pedalboard, it sound bad!

I don't know if I'm looking for a cab simulator or an amp simulator..

Thanks,
JP

Mark Hammer

Speakers are limited in how they reproduce high frequencies.  When we play through guitar amp speakers, they remove some of the harshness of the sound simply by not being able to reproduce those frequencies.  Cab/speaker simulators attempt to duplicate what the speaker does by filtering out the high frequency content that speakers normally do.

JPGraphX

I understand that.

What I want to know is: What do I need to get a good sound coming out from my pedalboard... what should I build to get that.

bool

You need one of the sansamps

Imho for you it would be the best to buy one used instead of building it..

J0K3RX

Quote from: bool on June 25, 2014, 05:21:44 PM
Imho for you it would be the best to buy one used instead of building it..

Where's the fun in that, I thought this was DIYSB? :P

Quote from: JPGraphX on June 25, 2014, 04:42:06 PM
What I want to know is: What do I need to get a good sound coming out from my pedalboard... what should I build to get that.

What exactly do you have on your pedal board? Need to know more details like what kind of music you play, what kind of amp and speakers do you have and does your "sound/tone" when playing through your amp come mainly from your pedals or are you simply running some sound fx pedals like chorus, delay, reverb etc... You might need a preamp and a cab/speaker simulator and perhaps a mixer/head phone amp...
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!