Previous topic - Next topic

Transmogrifox

Quote from: puretube on June 25, 2014, 03:55:21 PM
Quote from: Transmogrifox on June 25, 2014, 03:46:26 PM
JFET differential pair.
hey Transmo: whereyabeen?  :icon_biggrin:

I've been doing digital open source guitar FX software in my free time:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rakarrack/

...hardware engineering to pay the bills, and making babies to make the bills worth paying ;)

Just recently got the urge to pull out some transistors and try some stuff. I'm about to start another thread to share some things I've been playing with.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Transmogrifox

Quote from: Bill Mountain on July 06, 2014, 09:53:38 PM
Quote from: Transmogrifox on June 25, 2014, 03:46:26 PM
JFET differential pair.

Is there a specific circuit that utilizes this?

I don't know that I've seen it done quite how I like to do it in a commercial pedal, but here's the part I'm talking about below.  It's that current-steering principle where it creates a nice soft approach but a hard limit when it hits the rail. 

And here is the full circuit.  It sounds tube amp-ish.  Good responsive dynamic crunch.

trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

amptramp

I prefer the precision clamp on the right-hand side of this:

https://archive.org/stream/NationalSemiconductorLinearApplicationsHandbook1994#page/n105/mode/2up

I would use two of them, one for positive and one for negative in a circuit like a DOD250 where the diodes go to ground.  You get precise, repeatable clipping point with no temperature dependence and the ability to add in series resistances.

Quackzed

my 2 favs are muffer style with a lower emitter resistor(to get it to distort) and mu-amp (with a good high imp jfet booster driving it...)
...so far...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!