Favorite way to clip a signal?

Started by Bill Mountain, June 25, 2014, 08:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Mountain

This is sort of an informal poll.  You don't have to go in to great detail.  I'm just wondering after years of innovation and experimentation what your favorite distortion engine is?

As much as I like the "organic" nature of clipping transistors and tubes I find that diodes are more reliable and the secret is in the pre & post eq.

What's your favorite?

Govmnt_Lacky

Well.. if you go by popular vote AND by history...

Looks like silicon diodes in the op amp feedback is the winner (i.e. TS808)  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

tca

Could not resist!

Cheers.

P.S.
The muffer.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

bluebunny

^ Low parts count.  Very low power consumption.   :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

GibsonGM

Post-boost diodes (Dist +,  Guvnor...).  Unless you want more of an overdrive, then TS808 feedback loop diodes....and yup, using the EQ to get what you want, Bill....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

jubal81

Anything but diodes. Well, unless they're in a muff. That's OK.

Bill Mountain

anchovie

Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

MrStab

power tube saturation!
...but that doesn't work well at 9V :(

given much A/B switch-flicking lately, i think i have to go with Mike - i prefer clipping after, not so much during, a gain stage.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

mth5044

bool

clipping a gain stage (within nfb) and some after it - my fav. way of getting a hairy tone without resorting to multi-stage hi-gain circuits (with their own set of problems, noise et.al)

Transmogrifox

trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

puretube

Mufftastic

I like the two clipping stage design in a big muff.  So diodes, in the transistor's feedback loop, and two of them.

I've built high gain amps and a ton of pedals and the sound I always, always come back to is a clean, fat tube amp and a big muff.  There are plenty of great overdrive/distortion designs out there but this is the only one I enjoy playing through.

seedlings

Bill Mountain

seedlings

Quote from: Bill Mountain on June 26, 2014, 02:58:52 PM

Has anyone ever pulled this off for reals in a pedal format?

Yes, with cmos voltage converters or transformers to get B+.  My best effort was to use a 24V notebook power supply.

CHAD

petemoore

Once a bit, twice w/more, then add a bit of opamp 'near rail' tone.
='s a D+'s 741 opamp @ about 6v supply, with a Jfet booster in front and a treble control after.
The two amps [jfet and 741] and clipping diodes [assymetrical] all contribute to distorting the signal...fairly simple and seems to work well.
just the boost into tube amp [yet another tone shaping element] into speaker [the contributors continue to grow in number...
Pretty generic distortion tone, nice boost sound...
Otherwise for more 'exotic' [ie distort heavy for fat single notes...mushy for polyphonic use], I'll use a FF, which looks simple but may require the player [and gear] to 'acclimate' to it. I like the way it turns the guitar volume intoo a 'gain' control.
  Not that the Bazz Fuss can't provide a very hard clipped signal with 1 transistor...sort of opposite to the more 'delicate' approach of 'gently' re-clipping gently clipped signal stages, shaping waveform and frequency content along the way... 
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

puretube

Bill Mountain

Quote from: Transmogrifox on June 25, 2014, 03:46:26 PM
JFET differential pair.

Is there a specific circuit that utilizes this?