Accutronics Spring-tank Wattage requirement

Started by knutolai, June 27, 2014, 12:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knutolai

So I bought a Accutronics reverb tank off a guy online aimed as a fun summer project.

The specs are as following:
Type 1 (smallest type)
Input Z = 150 Ohm
Output Z = 2250 Ohm
2,75 - 4 sec decay
Input Insulated, Output Grounded

Seeing as the Input Z is so high (compared to speakers) would it be sufficient with a unipolar 9 volt supply? I don't use any batteries in my setup, and I don't intend for this device either. In other threads I've seen 12V supplies or above recommended, but is it at all necessary when running the device with a PSU able to supply lots of current? Whats confusing me is the Accutronics Parts Number specification states no limits or requirements on wattage needed to drive the coil exciting the spring.

For the circuit I'm thinking to build a CA stage center reverb with some added bells and whistles using NE5532s.

PRR

I had seen a "38mA" limit but I do not recall if that was 5 Ohm or 1K Ohm.

Look to the classics. On-board Fender tube reverb uses a 12AT7 which is maybe good for 0.1 Watts. Out-board Fender tube reverb used a 6F6(?) at lower voltage and higher impedance, probably a couple of WATTS(!).

Ballpark a split-difference: 0.4 Watts. In 150 Ohms this is 8 Volts RMS or 23V p-p. So you could use a 24V supply. (Indeed I have seen such a tank driven with boosted opamps on similar voltages.)

However not everybody plays like Dick Dale, and as the onboard amp shows, you can do lesser power and still get a fine boing. 0.1 Watts in 150 Ohms is 3.8V rms 11V p-p. 12V supply is ample, 9V is sure worth a try.
  • SUPPORTER

knutolai

Quoteworth a try.

I'll start with that and advance the supply if necessary. Thanks for the wattage insight!