Vero Board layout question!

Started by tone seeker, June 28, 2014, 01:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tone seeker

Hello! I have went from building guitar's, to building pedals! My question is about How IC chips, are placed on vero board

I'm working on a DBA circuit, and I'm not sure how the chips mount?

When looking at a vero board layout, are the IC chips mounted directly to the copper strip side, or on top?

If you look at the schematic layout below, on the IC2 (HT8950), pins 1,2 and 3, go to the left. This also connects to SW0, SW1, and SW2. However

if I mount the chip to the top of the board, than pins 16,17, and 18, will than be connected to SW0,SW1, and SW2.

http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Effects/Fuzz-ODs/DBA/01-DBA_ROBOT_VERO.png

Here is a Layout I found that verifies the circuit
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=47536&g2_serialNumber=1

Showing pins 1,2,and 3 going to the switch (the wires in question)

I am sorry, for such a silly question, I have searched about this, but have not come up with anything! How do you do this? Reverse the circuit, so the chip remains on top, of the board?

Thanks!

WhiskeyMadeMeDoIt

The circuit is shown from the top of the vero. They draw the vero like the board was see through. Mark the top of the board where the cuts are with a sharpie. Push it in the holes where there is a mark.  Now flip it over and use a drill bit a tad larger than the trace and make the cut. When you are finished with all the cuts hold it up to the light and verify the cuts are in the right spots.  Check for small scraps of copper that you may have left or fallen and stuck to the board.  Now I like to check for continuity with my meter and make sure the cuts are truly broken. When your satisfied flip it over and populate your board with the resistors and diodes first. Next sockets and then caps. Follow that with your wiring.  After it is all in place you can wire your pots and switches. Test test test fire it up and if it's good box it.

DrAlx

Very sensible of you to ask Tone Seeker.
A colleague told me about some work-experience he did after finishing school.
He had to build some MASSIVE circuit on vero, and he got stuck in and built the whole thing.
He new the components went on the non-strip side of the board, but misinterpreted the layout picture.
He thought it was a view from the strip side of the board, not the component side.
All the IC's got fried when he powered up.

tone seeker

Thanks for the replies. I thought I had it all figured out, but the IC chip, I mounted to the top, in the
spot indicated. So I probably fried the chip! Ah well! Live and learn! I'll try again!

Kipper4

Most of us like to use sockets for ICs. Easier to swap out if you do fry it.
Notice at the top right IIRC of the layout it states the number of cuts and jumpers.
The cuts are indicated by the white squares with a red dot
To make the cuts I use a 4mm drill bit by hand. If your not sure the cuts are through all the copper on the rail. I use a craft knife to ensure so.  Safety is a must here though. Be careful with a small board like this and a craft knife.
I hope the cost of the bits was not to expensive for you to try again.
I prefer perf board to vero but each to his own.
Any more questions just ask.
And if you have a digital multi meter you can always test the chip to see if it's still alive.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

tone seeker

Quote from: Kipper4 on June 28, 2014, 01:37:58 PM
Most of us like to use sockets for ICs. Easier to swap out if you do fry it.
Notice at the top right IIRC of the layout it states the number of cuts and jumpers.
The cuts are indicated by the white squares with a red dot
To make the cuts I use a 4mm drill bit by hand. If your not sure the cuts are through all the copper on the rail. I use a craft knife to ensure so.  Safety is a must here though. Be careful with a small board like this and a craft knife.
I hope the cost of the bits was not to expensive for you to try again.
I prefer perf board to vero but each to his own.
Any more questions just ask.
And if you have a digital multi meter you can always test the chip to see if it's still alive.

I used a socket, for the chip, and I have a bunch of parts and tools to fix it, I just never
attempted working on a project with chips!
  I may just redo the layout, now that I know better! I'll have to do a search on how to check the
chip. I have a nice Amprobe digital multimeter, so it should be up to that task! The thing can
practically trace satellite's!
  Thanks for all the input, I love building this stuff!