Some Bad News

Started by soupbone, July 01, 2014, 12:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

I got an email from Digikey today,and bunch of Panasonic Metal Film Caps are at the end of life!Not sure why,but now what do I do?! :icon_mad:

armdnrdy

This is truly the beginning of the end!!!

What's next??? Giant locusts?

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Jdansti

Why not switch to poly caps?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

soupbone

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 01, 2014, 12:24:46 AM
This is truly the beginning of the end!!!

What's next??? Giant locusts?

:D

soupbone

Quote from: Jdansti on July 01, 2014, 12:27:36 AM
Why not switch to poly caps?
I could,but I'm a fan of M.F. Caps.I can go to Mouser,and they probably still have them.I like Digikey because I can call them Drunk at 3:00 a.m. and place an order.lol 24-7 is what i like about them.

armdnrdy

Panasonic ECQ series

Digikey: Part Status: End of Life; Last Time Buy Date: 03-31-2015. Minimums may apply.

Well...you have nine months to collect enough aluminum cans to raise money so that you can place an order for a lifetime supply of ECQ caps.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

soupbone

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 01, 2014, 12:38:17 AM
Panasonic ECQ series

Digikey: Part Status: End of Life; Last Time Buy Date: 03-31-2015. Minimums may apply.

Well...you have nine months to collect enough aluminum cans to raise money so that you can place an order for a lifetime supply of ECQ caps.

I'm on it!I didn't see that part.lol   :icon_redface:

Liquitone

First after getting heavily into J201's and after that staring to use 1uF SMF's in almost all my builds, now this...
Please don't tell me they're going to discontinue germanium CV7003's and OC45's as well?

guitarkill

Get used to it. All the thru hole stuff is going to be discontinued someday. It's not cost effective for people to build stuff by hand anymore. The bigger "boutique" companies have already bought up a big supply of what they need and us DIYers are stuck with whatever crumbs fall off the table.
just another dude killed by his guitar

tdkrause

Any billionaires here feel like opening a factory that produces JFETs, Germanium transistors and MF capacitors? You'll have plenty of customers.

armdnrdy

Quote from: tdkrause on July 01, 2014, 03:23:36 PM
Any billionaires here feel like opening a factory that produces JFETs, Germanium transistors and MF capacitors? You'll have plenty of customers.

Only after they produce BBD replicas starting with the SAD1024!  :icon_wink:

soupbone

They're probably going to switch to SMD.Ughh...

smallbearelec

I did not get that Digikey e-mail. Did it say which lines were being obsoleted. The ECQ-B is long gone, but the ECQ-V shows lots of stock and no end-of-life notice. For the record, I expect to be able to supply comparable parts for  a good while. Re BBDs, I just got 5,000 V3208 and I'm awaiting Ed Rembold's QA.

Regards
SD

armdnrdy

Quote from: smallbearelec on July 01, 2014, 10:21:32 PM
Did it say which lines were being obsoleted.

ECQ series Steve.

See reply 5

smallbearelec

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 01, 2014, 11:01:02 PM
Quote from: smallbearelec on July 01, 2014, 10:21:32 PM
Did it say which lines were being obsoleted.
ECQ series Steve.
See reply 5

I guess I could not believe that they were obsoleting the whole thing: ECQ-V, E(F), etc. Yuck!

My comment stands. AFAIK Topmay will still be available, and I guess I will put some money the rest of this year in ECQ-V. It's a way better investment than anything fixed-income...

armdnrdy

I stand corrected.

The ECQ-V series....not the whole ECQ series. One little V can make a big difference!  :icon_wink: