How to turn Hi-Fi speaker into Guitar speakers ??

Started by seadi123, July 01, 2014, 11:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monksanto

In that other thread there was this comment - "strap a 2.2-4.7u cap across the speaker terminals"... Is this a feasible way to go?

seadi123

Apparently , there is no way to use my speakers for a guitar amp ? I dont want to do the Kink mod , because i want to hear clean sounds too .

seadi123

Quote from: monksanto on July 02, 2014, 06:11:33 PM
In that other thread there was this comment - "strap a 2.2-4.7u cap across the speaker terminals"... Is this a feasible way to go?

That's what pushed me to open this thread .

PRR

> should I abandon this project with my InterTan speakers ?

Might be a fine *bedroom* sound with a 5 Watt amp.

The magnet weight tells some. Your "20 Oz" magnet can maybe get rid of 20 Watts heat (and not forever). As R.G. says, "hi-fi" (even dorm-room partying) has an average well below peak power. So you can use a 120 Watt amplifier with these speakers, and even clip slightly.

Guitar-tone is often all about extreme clipping. And a "10 Watt" amplifier can make near 19 Watts of total distortion. So a 10W is on the edge, a 5W is safer.

Here's the real problem.

Scratch a violin or a fine acoustic guitar. It has a strong loud bright woody scratch-tone.

Scratch a Cadillac door or a studio wall. It is highly damped to eliminate all annoying sound.

Many guitar speakers are treated like the violin: maximum woody (paper) tone and overtones.

Good hi-fi speakers are often treated like a Cadillac door, mellowest possible thud.

Another point. Bass sonic output is limited by size. Say 94dB at 80Hz but 88dB at 40Hz. You can't beat this. So to get "flat down to 40Hz" a hi-fi speaker has to *reduce* midrange (bay adding mass) to equal the bass output. A guitar speaker only has to cover down to 80Hz maybe 100Hz (we don't often need full boom on the lowest note; that's the bass player's job). So a guitar speaker can have many times more guitar-range output than a hi-fi speaker.
  • SUPPORTER

bool

Of course it's possible to use a hi-fi speaker as a guitar speaker - you only need to make it behave in a certain way. I made a lot of such things for myself in early 80's when I was a teen, because then I had only one "proper" amp and needed some for home practice. I burned many TBA810 and TCA940 chip-amps this way. Punk DIY ethos, haha.

I don't think that strapping a couple-uF's cap across the speaker terminals (unless it's preceeded by some inductance or a couple-ohm resistor) would be a good idea - you will be killing your amp this way.

tca

Quote from: bool on July 03, 2014, 04:40:35 AM
I don't think that strapping a couple-uF's cap across the speaker terminals (unless it's preceeded by some inductance or a couple-ohm resistor) would be a good idea - you will be killing your amp this way.
A RLC would do the trick. Consider a "typical hifi" speaker, e.g., the SC13 (Visaton), with Le=0.7mH and Re=7.2 in a 10l box

Or simply tilt the cab away:

*edit*
Corrected Visaton link.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

bool

Oh my, that's becoming elaborated and scientific, with graphs et al.

"How to scientifically f--k up a hi-fi speaker".

Hemmel

Quote from: tca on July 02, 2014, 06:06:15 PM
Question: what amp are you planning to use?

Not sure. I was thinking of simply building a small cab and test different amp configurations on it.

Quote from: tca on July 02, 2014, 06:06:15 PM
Before building a complete cab try a open baffle (see pic above). You can reuse the wood if your mind changes.

I asked previously about the closed cab because I just want a cab to plug different amps into it, to test them. Different circuits, different configurations, etc.

I also have a pair of tweeters and mid-range speakers (4" I think).

I guess I could always install them in an open baffle and test them out...
Bââââ.

tca

Quote from: Hemmel on July 03, 2014, 10:29:21 AM

Did you?

Cheers.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

Hemmel

Quote from: tca on March 07, 2015, 06:42:26 PM
Quote from: Hemmel on July 03, 2014, 10:29:21 AM

Did you?

Cheers.

Not yet, other projects got in the way.
Bââââ.