Replacement for 3P4T rotary??

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, July 02, 2014, 02:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Would like to come up with an alternative to using the mechanical 3P4T rotary switches. It would be ideal to use a monentary stomp to "toggle" through the switch positions.

I have scoured the webz to see if there are discreets that can do this like the CD4053 but, I haven't found anything yet  :-\ I would prefer not to go the PIC programming route but I will if I have to.

Looking for minimum parts count to accomidate a small amount of room.

Ideas??  :icon_idea:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

armdnrdy

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 02, 2014, 02:18:05 PM
Would like to come up with an alternative to using the mechanical 3P4T rotary switches. It would be ideal to use a monentary stomp to "toggle" through the switch positions.

I have scoured the webz to see if there are discreets that can do this like the CD4053 but, I haven't found anything yet  :-\ I would prefer not to go the PIC programming route but I will if I have to.

Looking for minimum parts count to accomidate a small amount of room.

Ideas??  :icon_idea:

So..let me get this straight....

You want to replace a big 3P4T rotary switch with a circuit that has a minimum amount of parts, so you can scroll through with a footswitch...and don't really want to go the PIC programming route. Do I have this correct?

Greg...would you like a bow on that too?  ;D

A CMOS solution would be very component heavy. Something like in this thread. (scroll to bottom of thread)

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=107808.0
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Govmnt_Lacky

Uggg...

I kinda figured as much. I have ZERO experience with programming so I wouldn't even know where to start!  :icon_frown:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Mark Hammer

http://hammer.ampage.org/files/quadsequentialswitch.pdf

A 4017 can be set up to step through as many as 10 choices, in round-robin fashion.  The downside is that, unlike a rotary switch, where a person could go from position 3 back to position 2, a solid-state sequential switch would require the user to step through positions 4 and 1 in order to get to position 2.  Whether that constitutes a major disadvantage in usability is something I leave to you.

But the underlying logic outlined in this article can be applied using a variety of CMOS switching options, as found on the GEOFEX site or the Tone God's site.

Oh, and no programming required.

slacker

You could do it with a couple of CD4052s these are 2P4T switches, so two would give you 4P4T. Then you need something like a CD4024 to control them, a momentary switch connected to the CD4024 clock input would step through the switch positions. A PIC or other ucontroller isn't really going to help much here, the actual switches are the biggest part of it. Depending on what the signals are you are switching you need biasing resistors and input/output caps on the switches, it pretty quickly gets a lot bigger and more complicated than a rotary switch.

LucifersTrip

If you want to change the position with your foot, a 3p4t slide switch would work, but I don't know if a durable one that can handle constant foot pressure exists
always think outside the box

PRR

Take the stop out of the 3P4T (so it counts 123412341234... continuously). Mount it sideways. Put a 12-tooth ratchet wheel on the shaft. Rig your pedal to snap the ratchet. Same as some motorcycle shifters.

I don't think there's any sweetheart solution.
  • SUPPORTER