To those who have done the MXR Dist III C4 mod:

Started by swinginguitar, July 03, 2014, 11:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinginguitar

I like the fact that this pedal really rounds off the highs and thus doesn't get fizzy, but i've noted that even with the tone all the way up there should be just a hair of presence lift.

So, does the C4 mod change the overall character, or just let it "bloom" a little bit? Can you still get back to the stock sound but maybe just at a lower setting of the tone knob?

Are you guys pulling that cap out, or replacing it, and if so, what's the consensus on value/type? I read "not larger than .1uF" somewhere IIRC

Also, is there a way to get it to saturate just a bit more?

mth5044

allesz

The pedal was traced and it's on the other forum, along with some suggested mods.
Basically it's just another tube screamer variant, but the bass roll off it's not too bad. I had one and I too found it a little too dark sounding; I did a cap mod and it was a lot better.... then sold it: in the meantime I became a diyer and started a long quest for something different than the usual, that Dist III was too much usual for my taste  :icon_rolleyes:.

I changed the cap with a smaller one and was quite happy about the mod. Removing it completely made the sound too trebly, if I remember right.

swinginguitar

Quote from: allesz on July 03, 2014, 12:10:04 PM
The pedal was traced and it's on the other forum, along with some suggested mods.
Basically it's just another tube screamer variant, but the bass roll off it's not too bad. I had one and I too found it a little too dark sounding; I did a cap mod and it was a lot better.... then sold it: in the meantime I became a diyer and started a long quest for something different than the usual, that Dist III was too much usual for my taste  :icon_rolleyes:.

I changed the cap with a smaller one and was quite happy about the mod. Removing it completely made the sound too trebly, if I remember right.

reckon it's time to just try a few caps and see what i like.

will the PCB withstand a couple of solderings?

mth5044

Depends on your soldering skills. May be easier to socket the component and try out tons of them. Will also be easier to hear the differences since you can get them in and out quicker. Take out the socket (or solder the cap to the socket) and put the cap in when you're done.

swinginguitar

didn't realise it was YATS....didn't really hear much bass loss/mid boost...more so the rounded highs (which is why i bought it)