DIYLC- fix file association for .diy (windows 7)

Started by seedlings, July 03, 2014, 03:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seedlings

I can't get the .diy files on my computer to open with DIYLC.  The first time I clicked on a file to open, it asked me what to open with, and I browsed to DIYLC and clicked it.  And instantly all .diy files became associated to Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You can imagine how helpful that is.  Tried to fix it in regedit, deleting all keys for .diy extension, but... still can't associate them with DIYLC.  I have the necessary permissions.

I can still open DIYLC first, then open the file, but it would be nice to just click on the file and DIYLC opens (instead of Acrobat Reader, followed by an error).

Thanks,
CHAD

PRR

Might help to know that it is Windows, and *which* version of Windows.

In a more-mature Windows (XP), this is the sequence when everything goes well:

http://i.imgur.com/RVVYMOk.gif

Two paths: when Windows knows a program "may" be useful, it will be on the list. When Windows is clueless, Browse to the program. (Do NOT bother with "look on the Web".)

DIYLC may have a weak affinity for type affiliation.

The association to Acrobat is weird. I would suspect finger-error, except I know your fingers always hit their note.
  • SUPPORTER

seedlings

Windows 7, 32 bit

It was kind of a fat finger.  I browsed to DIYLC clicked it, then clicked 'always' and OK.  But...in between clicking DIYLC and OK, the only program on the screen remains Acrobat.  With the OK click, Acrobat was selected, and DIYLC never shows up in the list of programs to pick from.

After deleting all the registry keys for .diy files, lots of programs appear on the list, but when I browse to DIYLC.exe, and select it, the screen returns to the list of programs. .. except DIYLC remains absent.

CHAD

IvIark

If you right click a file and choose "Open With" rather than Open, you should get an option to choose the default program and if you put a tick in the box it will change the association for you

[edit: sorry Paul, didn't see your pic]

seedlings

Thanks guys but those standard tactics don't work.

CHAD

karbomusic

To remove it for Acrobat instead of possibly making things worse in the registry because if not careful, this can cause file association issues that now won't set properly from the GUI...  :icon_idea:

Open Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Set Associations. Select a file type in the list and click Change Program.

Look for a .diy entry possibly for Acrobat. Adobe uses lots of file associations, it probably has one for diy. If so, remove it. While you're there add diylc.exe for .diy and see if that works. That's the manual way to do it. If it still goes back to Acrobat then Acrobat may have a preference set to always set it back which you'd need to find and disable.

You could also just right-click > properties > change on the main properties window but the above method is more direct. Right-click > properties > change how I just did it and it worked. If you do these steps exactly and it doesn't work then something is resetting it. It's always possible its a Windows problem but 90% of the time the above works if done properly. Just remember Acrobat could in fact be setting it back.

Davelectro

I don't use DIYLC v3, but I know version 2 it's not a regular executable file (it's a java app).

It won't open .diy files by itself.

AdamM

"When Windows is clueless"

Isn't that the default & unmodifiable state for all versions of windows???

;D

GGBB

There is an 'associations.bat' file included with DIYLC.  Try running that.  It worked for me on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit but not on Windows 7 Professional 64bit.  I suspect it has something to do with permissions although I have administrator privileges on both platforms.  The contents of the file are:

ftype diyfile="%CD%\diylc.exe" "%%1"
assoc .diy=diyfile

However, according to the Windows help example for ftype, the assoc command should precede the ftype command.  I don't know if it matters or not.
  • SUPPORTER

seedlings

Quote from: GGBB on July 04, 2014, 11:03:14 PM
There is an 'associations.bat' file included with DIYLC.  Try running that.  It worked for me on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit but not on Windows 7 Professional 64bit.  I suspect it has something to do with permissions although I have administrator privileges on both platforms.  The contents of the file are:

ftype diyfile="%CD%\diylc.exe" "%%1"
assoc .diy=diyfile

However, according to the Windows help example for ftype, the assoc command should precede the ftype command.  I don't know if it matters or not.

Hey!  The associations.bat file dis-associated adobe acrobat, so that's 1/2 the battle.  I have windows 7 professional...  Still, I can browse to DIYLC to 'open with', but DIYLC does not populate into the window to select...  Oh, well.

It seems like DIYLC runs as a stand-alone program.  I have to go to the file folder and click DIYLC.exe to run... like it isn't actually installed on the machine.  Perhaps this is the trouble.

CHAD

GGBB

Quote from: seedlings on July 07, 2014, 10:01:04 AM
Hey!  The associations.bat file dis-associated adobe acrobat, so that's 1/2 the battle.  I have windows 7 professional...  Still, I can browse to DIYLC to 'open with', but DIYLC does not populate into the window to select...  Oh, well.

It seems like DIYLC runs as a stand-alone program.  I have to go to the file folder and click DIYLC.exe to run... like it isn't actually installed on the machine.  Perhaps this is the trouble.

CHAD

Well - I did a little tinkering and got it working on Windows 7 Pro.  I basically just had to clean a few things out of the registry. 

From a command prompt I verified that the ftype and assoc were properly set up.  Run "assoc .diy" and "ftype diyfile" to verify.  If not, try running the associations.bat file as administrator from the right-click menu, or run command prompt as administrator and type the assoc and ftype commands manually making sure you have the full path the diylc.exe - and use "%1" not "%%1" if running from the command prompt.  I searched the registry for ".diy" and found that HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.diy was set up as a "diy_auto_file" which further searching revealed this to be an older beta version that I had since deleted.  I changed that value to "diyfile".  Then I deleted the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\diy_auto_file key and made sure I had HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\diyfile and that it's Shell\Open\Command default was set up for the "[full path]\diylc.exe" "%1".  I then went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.diy and made sure that the key OpenWithProgids contained the value "diyfile" with no data (zero-length binary value).  The key OpenWithList was also there with value "a" having the data "diylc.exe" and value "MRUList" had the data "a".  There was a third key that was the association for the text editor that was opening the files - I deleted it but forgot what it was named.
  • SUPPORTER

seedlings

Quote from: GGBB on July 07, 2014, 11:25:36 AM
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\diyfile and that it's Shell\Open\Command default was set up for the "[full path]\diylc.exe" "%1"

This!

THANK YOU!

CHAD