Gus

A fuzz idea from two threads posted at the forum
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=107721.0
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=92997.0
The MinuteMan circuit mixed with the dwell control from the IBfuzz
Not built
You can omit R8

joegagan

looks killer! will check it out some more.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

seadi123

Not built ? I believe we have forgotten the main function of these schematics , which is not to look at it , but to hear its sound .

mac

mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

joegagan

Quote from: seadi123 on July 05, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
Not built ? I believe we have forgotten the main function of these schematics , which is not to look at it , but to hear its sound .

you must understand - gus has the engineering combined with design experience that goes back 20 years. he does not have to build it for it to be viable.

his track record of putting up theoretical circuits that later become legends is stellar. please do not insult his contribution with your mean remarks. there is a process at this forum that involves multiple paths to success, - gus has ONE method that rises above many others.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

LucifersTrip

tubelectron designed that circuit for low gain (<50 hfe) sililicon, but voltages don't change much with higher gain
always think outside the box

mac

What about a switchable path from Q1 C to output, like a fuzzrite or shin ei fuzz.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

mth5044

Quote from: seadi123 on July 05, 2014, 02:40:13 PM

You insult the guy who builds a huge effect then insult the guy who provides schematics. What would make you happy, then?

seadi123

I'm not insulting anyone ! But most of people here post schematics and stuff but no sound demos . It's not about building the circuit , it's about playing guitar through it ! Don't forget the essentials

GibsonGM

Everybody remain calm ;)

It's awesome to see the idea AND to hear it after it's put together.  BOTH parts have tons of merit.    One can kind of 'hear it' from seeing what the design is, but of course the proof of the pudding is in the hearing!    I think Seadi just really would like to know what it sounds like, and if it would fit his style of playing!

Anyone wanna breadboard this and make a quick demo?  Looks like it might have the best of several different fuzz varieties! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

tca

Quote from: Gus on July 05, 2014, 10:42:35 AM
... dwell control....
You can omit R8
Where is the dwell control? R4/R5? Omit R8 means a short to ground?

Cheers.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

Gus

Two 100K controls
R7 an output volume control
R4 and R5 are a 100K "dwell" control this is from the IBfuzz.  The R8 10K can be shorted out if you want, this was added in the sim
I even removed the guitar and cable sim section from the sim
I gave credit to both threads
I should sound like the MM with the dwell set a certain way

About 200hfe 2N2222s seem to match well to the sim model in LT spice.   Feel free to try different transistors.

This was a post to get people thinking about circuits that use biasing like this.   It should be a fast build with common value parts and transistors.

The IBfuzz dwell control is what I noticed. I don't remember seeing a control like that with one end grounded in a fuzz or distortion or other effect circuit

I don't trust sound demos

How is this a little like the HP?

tca

> This was a post to get people thinking about circuits that use biasing like this.   It should be a fast build with common value parts and transistors.
I've tried a similar circuit with 3 gain stages but with lower collector resistors (2k - 10k). It looks like ths on the oscilloscope.

> The IBfuzz dwell control is what I noticed. I don't remember seeing a control like that with one end grounded in a fuzz or distortion or other effect circuit
That is a good idea, that is also what caught my attention to your circuit. Hve to try it out.

> I don't trust sound demos
I get you.

nocentelli

Quote from: Gus on July 06, 2014, 08:20:19 AM

The IBfuzz dwell control is what I noticed. I don't remember seeing a control like that with one end grounded in a fuzz or distortion or other effect circuit

Thanks Gus, it sounds great! I breadboarded it as drawn, but stuck a Rat filter control before the volume pot. The dwell (?) control gives a wonderful range from a graunchy, mis-biased "Spirit in the Sky" sound at minimum, smoothing out a little to a classic 60's TB/FF type fuzz at noon, and at maximum is is very smooth indeed, more like a BMP with the filter pot dialled up.

I don't trust sound demos

I tried to capture the sound on my phone, but no joy: I tend to agree - It's much better to hear the sound for real if you can.

It took two minutes to breadboard, and I find it's always worth trying Gus's circuits out.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Gus

nocentelli
Thanks for the feedback.  Does it get the Harmonic Percolator like feedback at a certain "dwell" setting?

It is not my circuit.

I liked digi2t's post about how the Iron Butterfly fuzz reacted with the "Dwell" control.

I remembered the MinuteMan fuzz thread.  I used the MM 100K resistor values instead of the 470K for more collector current and added the Iron Butterfly Dwell control(a cut and paste circuit sim). 
I left out the tone section, one could try different tone sections like the Rat filter as posted about by nocentelli or maybe a BMP or ...

tca

Quote from: nocentelli on July 06, 2014, 10:13:04 AM
Thanks Gus, it sounds great! I breadboarded it as drawn...
One thing that I like about this type of circuits is that one can lower the power voltage. It runs with a 1.5V battery.

LucifersTrip

Gus

Built it as posted with two about 200hfe 2N2222 transistors
I added a 1K input resistor and used a .47uf output cap because that was on the bench

The dwell control makes this a harsh sounding fuzz at most of the setting
Not much dynamics but a cool sound
Lots of IM with more than one note

Gus

Quote from: LucifersTrip on July 06, 2014, 04:04:40 PM

This was a post to get people thinking about circuits that use biasing like this.  

remember the FZ-1A knockoffs? LRE Fuzz Sound, Fuzz King, etc...
http://www.luciferstrip.com/fuzz/lrefuzzsound-schematic.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_transistor_biasing#Collector_Feedback_Bias

The linked schematic does not have one end of the potentiometer connected to ground.  This changes things.

Anyone else try this out it?

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Gus on August 02, 2014, 11:14:54 AM
Quote from: LucifersTrip on July 06, 2014, 04:04:40 PM

This was a post to get people thinking about circuits that use biasing like this.  

remember the FZ-1A knockoffs? LRE Fuzz Sound, Fuzz King, etc...
http://www.luciferstrip.com/fuzz/lrefuzzsound-schematic.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_transistor_biasing#Collector_Feedback_Bias

The linked schematic does not have one end of the potentiometer connected to ground.  This changes things.

In your first schematic, I initially thought there was a connection between R4 and the base. I now see you don't have a "dot" there.