Mini-pot/knob

Started by nosamiam, July 07, 2014, 02:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosamiam

Does anybody have a source for the super small controls being used on some pedals? Like the Echo-puss or any of the VFE pedals? I assume they're PCB mount, but I can't imagine how they get enough standoff height from the surface of the PCB yet have enough rigidity to resist torsion if they aren't attached to the enclosure. Anybody have a clue?

merlinb

They're actually trimpots with a shaft. You can buy the shafts separately and glue them to standard trimpots.
+ =

Heemis

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

nosamiam

Quote from: davent on July 07, 2014, 03:19:51 PM
Alphas at Small Bear

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1277

Awesome! I thought about the trimmer option but I don't think I would be able to trust the glue to hold the shaft securely.

I don't know how I missed the Small Bear ones! Those are perfect for me because I'm already using the 9mm snap-in PCB mount pots on all my builds.

pappasmurfsharem

"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

PeterPan

I too am looking for a solution like this, for a PCB that will be part of a recessed control panel mounted on the edge of small acoustic guitars. I can't believe what a hard time I've had finding the seemingly simple combination of (1) small vertical PCB mount Pots, that are actually available from a distributor, and (2) small knobs to fit. Seems simple right? I found what i thought was a perfect pot made by Bournes, readily available from mouser (http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/PTV09A-4020F-A504/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduiCu1ZRuzhc0K2D3xskh4KU0E7tTU2%252bBLwGzewUHryDNlibLuAI5y%252bp). But they had 6mmm D shafts, and like the original poster of this thread I was shocked to find how slim the pickings were on small (10mm max width) knobs. Even Bournes couldn't find me anything decent. Ebay had some good sizes, but they were all die case aluminum (I'd have preferred black with a pointer).

But anyway, i digress. These ALPHA pots you folks posted might be a good solution for some of my controls, and I've asked this company (TAYDA Elect) what stock and future availability is like. The only dilemma here is whether they would be TOO smal for the main volume control. The advantage of such a small pot is that I might be able to offer a few MORE controls on my little panel than I had originally planned. The downside though, at least for the main VOLUME control is this. If a control is TOO small, it makes fast and accurate mid song level adjustment unlikely. That may be the compromise I have to make for other controls, but for the main volume control I'm not sure its a good idea. I wonder if a knob might fit over one of these though? I have found many more small and usable black knobs since I've abandoned "D shafts" and started looking again at simple "knurled 6mm" shafts, and 6.25mm set screw types. These ALPHA's seem to be 6.35mm, which is obviously pushing it. Anyone know is a standard knob (perhaps with set screw) would fit over these?

--Randy (PeterPan)
... Second Star to the Right, and Straight on Till Morning!

davent

Not sure about the shaft sizing but it's pretty simple to rebore a 6mm set-screw-knob with a 1/4" bit.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

anotherjim

I've used these where space is tight...
http://www.rapidonline.com/electronic-components/bourns-3310-pro-audio-series-9mm-control-potentiometer-pcb-panel-mount-519719

But, Rapid being what they are, and despite these being branded as an audio range -  they don't stock log variants.  :icon_rolleyes:
Also, these have 3mm(1/8") shafts and Rapid (of course) don't stock any knobs that fit - I had to go to Maplin for those (who, of course, don't carry any small shaft pots themselves)  :icon_rolleyes:

PeterPan

Well thanks guys. @davent: Yeah i guess I could always bore out a few knobs if just one of my controls needed one. But you know... you get tired of having to make or modify EVERY little thing. :-)

But anyway, those Alphas look worth grabbing, if not for my current project, for another. I do have a remaining concern about their stock, and whether these pots are going to remain available after stock runs out. I guess I'll have to contact Alpha directly for that, because I've asked Tayda Electronics twice now, and so far all I get is confirmation messages, no actual answers. A pot like this I'd have to design a PC board to fit, and no way do I want to go thought that only to have an obsolete part.

--Randy (PeterPan)

Mark Hammer

I recently saw a pedal that obviously used the little 9mm green-body pots, but had knobs for them.  I wish to heck I could remember the pedal.  Clearly, these would be relatively low profile push-on knobs, but they appeared to provide enough surface to make turning the pot much easier.

thomasha

I used these 9 mm in my superfly, with davies knobs, because couldn't find 1MA and 500kA with screw, like the tone pot.

PeterPan

Quote from: thomasha on August 12, 2014, 09:06:16 AM
I used these 9 mm in my superfly, with davies knobs, because couldn't find 1MA and 500kA with screw, like the tone pot.

That's very kewl! I can imagine the difficulty wiring in that enclosure!  But anyway, those "Davies" knobs you spoke of... They fit the ALPHA pots without having to enlarge the hole? Where did you find those?

--Randy (PeterPan)

darron

Trimpots are only designed for light duty. Some only 20x or so turns as they aren't a regular part of a consumer exterior experience. Tweak it and leave it.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

thomasha

PeterPan

@thomash / Darron -- Darn... that link at TAYDA (http://www.taydaelectronics.com/knob-davies-1900h-clone-cream.html) doesn't work. Do you think they discontinued those knobs? Did they have a part number I could use to search?

--Randy (PeterPan)

italianguy63

I just think their site is down.  Try again later!  MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

armdnrdy

This is what I get trying to get to Tayda's site:

Magento Commerce .

There has been an error processing your request

Exception printing is disabled by default for security reasons.

Error log record number: 1058974855329
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

italianguy63

The site is back up now.
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Mark Hammer

Their Facebook page noted a crash within the last day or two.

Where does/can one get the little press-on knobs you find on Danelectro Fab pedals?  The Fab series uses those 9mm pots with the black plastic shafts.  I think the recent V3 issue Visual Sound pedals also use such knobs, like you see below for the Bass and Clean Mix controls.