Double boost pedal

Started by upspoon12, July 08, 2014, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upspoon12

Hey guys,

Had a random musing today on the way in to work.

I build osme mosfet boost pedals,
I also will be building some of the tube boost pedals utilising the 12au7 EH tube.

I was wondering if its feasible, sounds good, or worth the effort to put the two boosters into a pedal and make almost an a/b/y out of it
where you could use one to boost, the other to boost, or both to boost utilizing a blend pot. OR EVEN making the tube boost the lowend and the mosfet boost the mid and high (utilizing a cross over of sorts) or making either the blend or multiband boost toggle-switchable.

the only thing i could think of so far is that the blended signals might not sound too good together after a summing amp, or there might be too much boost between the two after summing and resulting in more overdrive than i'm looking for (if it sounds good though i certainly wouldnlt stray from it.

Thoughts, musings, concerns, professions of my stupidity? :)

FiveseveN

Are you planning to run them into a "clean", slightly saturated or very saturated (pre)amp?
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

Mark Hammer

Several ZVex pedals are essentially cascaded SHOs; i.e., a couple of MOSFet boosters in a row.  So, it's not a completely stupid idea.

upspoon12

Quote from: FiveseveN on July 08, 2014, 11:30:57 AM
Are you planning to run them into a "clean", slightly saturated or very saturated (pre)amp?

Definitely very clean. We are trying to maintain as much of the natural tone from the instrument with some added warmth from the tube.

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 08, 2014, 12:18:32 PM
Several ZVex pedals are essentially cascaded SHOs; i.e., a couple of MOSFet boosters in a row.  So, it's not a completely stupid idea.

This is encouraging. Thanks for the tidbit!