Everyone need this. Lap steel for electric.

Started by pappasmurfsharem, July 10, 2014, 02:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappasmurfsharem

"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

italianguy63

Kind of a cool idea.  But, a lot of work/clunky, and I am afraid it wouldn't stay in tune well.... 
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

samhay

That's cool, and the playing is pretty hot too.
While it might be a little clunky, that's the nature of the beast. It looks a lot easier to use than a B-bender, and being able to bend 4 strings opens up some possibilities.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

~arph

Yeah just saw that too.. need to combine this with the hex pickups just posted recently.  :icon_cool:

Mark Hammer

Ever seen a Bigsby palm pedal?  Most of us are familiar with Bigsby units that pitch-bend all 6 strings at once.  Palm pedals can be had that allow for selective bending of multiple individual strings.  The one shown below will do 2 strings, but they can be had for all 6.  I first learned about these in 1982, when I was blessed to have a tour of the Bigsby factory by none other than Ted McCarty, who pulled a gorgeous gold-plated unit off the shelf to show me.  I doubt I would ever have the skill level required to use one, though.

samhay

^I doubt I would ever have the skill level required to use one, though

That's the kicker. There's a reason why pedal steels have foot pedals.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

armdnrdy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 10, 2014, 09:02:44 AM
Ted McCarty

The father of the Flying "V" among other things.

Not to be confused with Joe McCarthy who probably thought that if you played guitar....you were a communist!  :icon_wink:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

italianguy63

Or Melisa McCarthy... oh nevermind!

Makes you wonder if the Gibson Firebird X self-tuner mechanism could be used to do something like this.. reverse engineering....

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Mark Hammer

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 10, 2014, 09:13:45 AM
Ted McCarty

...those other things being the SG, Explorer, and the 335.  Not a bad track record if you ask me.
I framed the business card he gave me.  Sweet guy.

armdnrdy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 10, 2014, 10:28:24 AM
Quote from: armdnrdy on July 10, 2014, 09:13:45 AM
Ted McCarty
...those other things being the SG, Explorer, and the 335.  Not a bad track record if you ask me.

And he didn't play a lick of guitar!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

wavley

New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

jimbeaux

Inventor of the Palm Pedal is Boomer Castleman.

I bought one of these in the early 70's, but the biggest issue I had - is you can't mute the strings (at least not with your palm) - I sold it last year for about five times what I originally payed for it.

(the palm pedal was available in recent years from Dan 'db' Balde, unfortunately he passed away & all of the links are gone)

Thanks for linking the hackaday project - great idea - you can pick, bend & mute -

Mark Hammer

Quote from: jimbeaux on July 10, 2014, 03:16:19 PM
Inventor of the Palm Pedal is Boomer Castleman.

I bought one of these in the early 70's, but the biggest issue I had - is you can't mute the strings (at least not with your palm) - I sold it last year for about five times what I originally payed for it.

(the palm pedal was available in recent years from Dan 'db' Balde, unfortunately he passed away & all of the links are gone)

Thanks for linking the hackaday project - great idea - you can pick, bend & mute -
Thanks for that info.  :icon_smile:  And it's always something, eh?