Earthing/grounding

Started by MariaOrsic, July 10, 2014, 10:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MariaOrsic

Hello,

Can you help a newbie, please? I am just finishing off my first pedal, a dallas fuzz clone. The layout shows an earth connection, but doesn't tell me where to fix it to. I have googled but not managed to find a suitable answer.

Do you recommend soldering the loop style fitting to the aluminium case, bolting it to it, or any other method, please?

Thank you. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't seem to find any reference to it.

Is it the same method of earthing for a negative earth and a positive earth?

Thanks

Seljer

Using the sleeve section of input or output jack for ground connection to the enclosure is adequate. Adding a toothed brass washer for better electric contact is also good.

Mr_Butterworth

Earth grounds are typically used with high power and signal applications. Places like television and radio stations use a different ground for the signal than power sources because the noisy power ground can pollute a small signal ground. However, since I figure you are only dealing with 9 or 12 volts as compared to 120V, a shared common ground to the jack sleeve will work perfectly as mentioned above.

thelonious

Quote from: MariaOrsic on July 10, 2014, 10:08:58 AM
Do you recommend soldering the loop style fitting to the aluminium case, bolting it to it, or any other method, please?

Like Seljer said, the sleeve of a metal jack makes contact to the enclosure and grounds it. These two kinds work that way:
-

But this kind is plastic and requires you to ground the enclosure a different way:

Basically, if some metal part of the jack is making clean contact with the metal of the enclosure, you're probably ok, and if not, you need to ground the enclosure another way.

MariaOrsic