Help me with switches

Started by TheWinterSnow, July 10, 2014, 09:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheWinterSnow

A new design that I am working on I have decided to utilize a strange switching system.  I need a 3 position toggle or rotary that switches on one of three inputs, however I need two in one package.  I though that would be called a DP3T switch however, everything I find in data sheets shows that there are only two connections and one common, where the middle position is both inputs on.  

I need something like this but with three throw terminals instead of the four throw terminals. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1170463/Switch.png

Any ideas?  Thanks

mth5044

Although your description is a bit cryptic, I think what you want is an on-on-on DPDT. One of the two varieties shown below"

Wire it up like this guy and you can have a one in, three out (or vice versa) toggle switch.

You will need to have it orientated right, so use your multimeter and figure out which switching type is the one you have and which way is up.

tommycataus

I might be slow but.... would a three position dpdt do the trick (on-on-on)?

Edit- beat me to it! Good diagram too Matt.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ

TheWinterSnow

That is wiring a DPDT to act as a SP3T, I need two of those.  I really don't want to use a 4PDT to get the job done, to big and way too expensive.

Unlikekurt

they do make them.  I used some DP3T toggles with ON - ON - ON connections in a rat i made.
I pretty much cloned the deucetone; so two rats in one pedal with interconnectivity, etc etc
But I wanted LEDs to indicate which clipping function was used.
I recall them being rather expensive and having a larger toggle bat than I would have liked.
NKK P/N M2044SS1W01 was what I used.  Here's a link to digikey listing
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/M2044SS1W01/360-2082-ND/1007139
The important thing to watch is the datasheet as it will tell you how the switch needs to be setup  ie: which lugs are the poles and which lugs are the throws that go with them.  AND what connections you MUST make between what lugs in order for it to work.
best of luck

mth5044

I see now, you want two in one. I didn't look past the price of the switch Unlikekurt posted, unless your down for a $14 switch.

What's wrong with using a 2P6T, 3P4T or 4P3T rotary? You can set them to how many throws you want. A 3P4T will work, just set it to 3T and you're good to go. You can get them at SmallBear.

TheWinterSnow

I saw that earlier about seeting rotaries.  Now I just need something that is small as possible and has solder pins for PCB mounting.  26mm is way too big.  I already have 5 pots, 4 other switches a circuit board, stomp switch and two jacks that all need to fit in a BB size box.

mth5044

Picky, picky  :icon_lol: The ones at small bear do have solder pins, but are large as you say.

How about a sliding switch?

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/slide-switch-2p3t-through-hole-0-3a-50vdc-1897.html

TheWinterSnow

Well I am putting that modification of the project on hold, but more than likely I will buy the mini DP3T rotaries from china and I will have to make an right angle board connector to get it to fit as it seems none of the PC mount variations are come in right angle connectors.

Thanks for the help.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

sdlogan9